Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hayseedman

Yellow Hydrangeas

hayseedman
18 years ago

Do you remember the thread about yellow hydrangeas? The thread is gone but I have{{gwi:1006535}}

Turns out that they're dyed. Schneeball is the white one in the picture and is used for dyeing.I asked a florist how she thought they were dyed and she said food color. Can't you put a flower in a vase of food color water and it gets into the flower. Is that how they make green carnations for St. Patrick's?)

In the discussion Hydrangea Vulcain (Vulcan?) was mentioned as maybe the closest we'd see to a yellow/orange hydrangea.

I just discovered this spring that Vulcain was a plant that I had bought as a small cutting last year. It's starting to flower for me.

{{gwi:1006536}}

I've got a few other plants flowering for me and you can see them for comparison.{{gwi:1006537}}

{{gwi:1006538}}

{{gwi:1006539}}

The Encyclopedia of Hydrangeas says that Vulcain is

a dwarf plant, up to 20 inches, but sometimes reverting to faster growth. Flowerheads are large crimson or purple, even orange with green. Flowering during a long period. Tolerates sun. Bred by Henri Cayeux of France.

This is one company in Europe that supplies dyed yellow hydrangeas. I think theirs is called Gold, maybe.

Mine came from Nantucket Hydrangea

Hay.

Comments (11)

• hayseedman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm talking about Vulcain when I said that "Mine came from Nantucket Hydrangea". If I had read what I wrote, I might think that I was talking about dyed yellow ones. Hay.

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

Thanks Hay,

Very interesting flower (Vulcain). Would you post another pic when it matures? Color looks like it is going to be very deep.

Always interested in the yellows. We just need one that grows yellow in the garden instead of the vase!

Brestenburg has such a unique and lovely bloom.

Looks like you are having another successful season so far. Thanks for the pics.....yg

• hayseedman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Of course, Yellowgirl is going to be interested in a yellow hydrangea!!!

I don't think this is anywhere near orange or yellow, but still a very pretty, interesting plant. And its color is not like the ususal pink and blues we know. It will be fun to have for sure.

{{gwi:1006540}}

Hay

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

I might describe it as Persimmon maybe? Kind of Mango even? Whatever the color name, it is unique and beautiful. (but certainly not yellow)....oh well, back to the drawing board!!...yg

• hayseedman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

{{gwi:1006541}}

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

aaaah...nice.....yg

• hayseedman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

How about Nikko Yellow?

I've been wanting to see if I could make a yellow hydrangea. Bought a little package of food colors. Four colors including yellow. Put the whole thing of yellow ( couple of tablespoons at most) into a pint of water. I had a couple of flowers of the white Madame Emile Mouillere that had gotten brown edges. ( I think I've seen that this is a fungus). They weren's so nice looking so I was willing to sacrifice them for the experiment. Threw in a couple of Nikko Blues just for fun, too.

{{gwi:1006542}}

Hay.

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

Oh how cool....I'm going to try that.....yg

• hayseedman
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm thinking of taking the pint of solution that still looks pretty potent to my eye and put it into a spritzer and spray some flowers on the shrub without cutting them. Maybe over a few hot days and the dye would get absorbed? Now wouldn't that be something?

The flowers wilted pretty quickly, but that's also typical of my cut hydrangeas this time of year so I don't know if the dyeing contributed to that.

I did the same sort of thing last fall with some Rit dye and some cut, very mature flowers. Basically nothing happened with the color and then they wilted really bad. Not a very good test though so I may repeat it somewhat sometime.

Hay.

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

Hay,

I wonder if one watered the plant well (to make it moist so the mixture won't run right down through)and then about half an hour later poured food coloring mixture around the base, would it soak up the color through the roots? What do you think? This is how alum sulfate is applied and taken up, why not the food coloring? I would try it this weekend but unfortunately it looks like Hurricane Dennis might have other plans for the next few days with rain and wind. (and they say another is forming right behind him off the coast of Africa) It's deja vu all over again.....yg

• heizer_ea_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I couldn't get a single link in this post to work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog