Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
specialmn1

Quick Fire & Pinky Winky: size & pics please

Mary4b
12 years ago

I have a number of locations that I am considering Quick Fire & Pinky Winky for. The tags say they are about 6-8' tall and wide, but I've searched a number of the threads here and no one seems to have any that get that tall.

If they really get that tall and wide, I might consider making a hedge out of them...but if they are more likely to be just 4' or so each year, I'd plant them by my foundation, or near the back of my hosta garden.

There's a store near me that has nice Proven Winner gallon pots for just 8.99 on sale right now...they are about 12" above the pot. ...or I could get 3 gallon Quick Fires for about $22 on sale, they are about 18-22" above the pot.

Are these leggy at the bottom? My limelight is leggy, whereas my annabelles go all the way to the ground, which I like.

I sure hope there are a few people out there who know how these grow now in the Midwest...my Endless Summer, is not very reliable, so I have it in a place where it doesn't matter how it performs from one year to the next. For my current purposes, I need a reliable plant...are these two reliable performers in the Upper Midwest?

Comments (5)

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Quick Fire is a rockstar in my book.

I'd say 5-6' tall is a fair estimate for WI clay soil. As paniculata ages they tend to show their stems near the ground.

Pinky Winky is likely the same for size. It may tend to flop a little more due to the weight of the flowers (just like Limelight). I heard it has a better "Pink" then QuickFire though. I still prefer clouds (QuickFire, Tickled Pink) of flowers vs. the panicles (Pink Diamonds, Pinky Winky) of flowers.

If your looking for a fondation hydrangea (full sun) I'd recommend Tickled Pink. Menards has them for a good price right now.

• Mary4b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Whaas, thank you so much for the response, it's great, too, that you are also in Wisconsin. I will take a look at the Tickled Pink. What is it about Tickled Pink that makes you recommend it so highly (I saw that you recommended it to another person, as well...)

Does Quick Fire get cut to the ground each spring or does one leave it alone? I cut my Annabelle hydrangeas to the ground every spring. Last year, I did an experiment and left them all uncut, but I did not like how they looked quite so much, so decided that cutting was for me. I also have Endless Summer, which isn't the greatest performer, so I have it in a spot that doesn't matter how it does...that one, I just clean up once it has leafed out and I can see what is live and what isn't.

I think I am going to give the Quick Fire a try...if you think it's a rockstar, that's good enough for me! They are only 8.99 on sale at Shopko right now, $20 if I'd go with the 3 gallon pot, but it seems like they grow so fast anyway, that I'd be better off saving the $.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    12 years ago

My Quickfire is only two years old and is easily 6x6 already.
    I trimmed it the first spring to direct the shape but haven't touched it since.

• mehearty
    12 years ago

QF doesn't do much of anything it's first year, but it really takes off in its second. I don't cut mine down, but I do shape it a bit in spring. It's got sort of an odd, free form that would either be very cool or kind of odd in a hedge. I think mine easily shot up to 8' in it's 3rd or 4th year, but I kept topping it off since it was shading another hydrangea. I've since moved the other plant, so it will be interesting to see what QF does this year. It's already a monster. Yay!

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

In a sandy or loam soil Quickfire can grow gangly and shoot wild 8' shoots like mehearty mentioned. Not sure if he/she has loam or sandy soil.

I had groupings in two different locations and they all exhibited the same growth rate. Mine where 3' tall after 3 years. I drove by my hold home and they looked to be about 4' on what would be year 4 now.

I like 'Tickled Pink' because...
    1) Keeps a nice tight compact habit
    2) Very good pink color (better than Quickfire)
    3) Leaf is somewhat puckered
    4) Keeps a nice tight compact habit

I planted a grouping of Little Limes this year so I'm anxious to see how they perform.

I'm also eyeing up 'Bokratorch' or Mystical Flame.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County