Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msalcido_gw

Organic Fertilizer

msalcido
13 years ago

Does anyone use organic fertilizer for their hydrangeas? I've been using Nature's Creation Organic Plant food and I also use Superthrive vitamins. I'm not sure if this is giving the hydrangeas the nutrients they need.

Has anyone else used these products or maybe other organic fertilizers? If so, do they work?

Comments (5)

• melaroma
    13 years ago

I use Espoma but it's my first year using it. I've read on this website that their product holly tone is really good. Maybe someone else can give us some insight as to how well organic works on hydrangeas.

• stompede
    13 years ago

The plant isn't intelligent enough to know the source of the nutrients, organic or not. Any overuse of any fertilizer leads to the same result. The best fertilizer is what the plant needs. A soil analysis will tell you what the plant needs, or doesn't need. From my personal experience, excess feeding of hydrangeas can lead to problems such as more disease and poor flowering.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Organic fertilizers work just as well as non-organics. And there is far less chance of over-applying, because the nutrients are in low concentrations and need to go through a conversion process with soil organisms to become available to the plants. Any fert for acid lovers will work equally as well.

FWIW, hydrangeas do not require large amounts of ferts. Mulching with compost will suffice in most cases.

And you might want to do some research on Superthrive before committing to spending a lot of money on something that has nothing more than anecdotal evidence to document that it does anything for the plants. IMO, it is a waste of money.

• msalcido
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the responses. I was concerned because every thing I read talked about the fertilizers to use and nothing mentioned organic. I will continue as I'm doing.

@gardegal48 - I have mulched but with cedar. Not sure if that will suffice. Also for the Superthrive, I was skeptical at first; however I had a wax leaf tree that was losing all of it leaves, the local garden store recommended applying the Supervthrive and after about a month of doing it, the leaves returned and the tree is more full than ever. I use the ST on all my plants and I can tell you they are taller and more full than I have ever seen them.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    13 years ago

I use Holly Tone and it seems to work great for me. I will use some slow release chemical fert. if the plant is not green enough......