Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangeas leaves turning white!

Posted by hoosier2b New York (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 17:24

I'm completely perplexed and would greatly appreciate any and all help. I have a 4 year old Nikko Blue who has been doing wonderfully with the exception of this year. Many of it's leaves, particularly the youngest have turned white, and will eventually drop off. I don't believe it's chlorotic (sp?), as they are virtually white, not light yellow with green veins, also, it is not powdery mildew or a fungus on top of the leaves. The plant is currently in bloom and doesn't seem affected in any other way. I apply fish emulsion monthly and for the last 2 weeks, Ironite (just to be on the safe side). Should I be concerned? P.S. I've tested the soil ph and it's right on target.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangeas leaves turning white!

Sounds like too much sun. Sunscald can turn the leaves yellow or bleach them. After a while, they will brown out if nothing is done. This usually occurs to the leaves in direct contact with the sunlight. Leaves located further inside the bush will remain green. If this is the case, you may need to provide the bush with more shade or consider tranplanting it.

The other time when you can see white leaves is when you apply winter protection techniques such as covering the bush with leaves or cardboard. If the bush breaks dormancy before the winter protection measures are removed, the shrub's leaves and stems that develop will not be able to use the sunlight to produce chlorophyll and will look white. Once the leaves are removed, the leaves turn green in a week or so on their own.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here