Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollie_z9

How big do these dwarfs really get? Little Lime, Munchkin, Honey

hollie_z9
11 years ago

I read the heights on the vendors sites but those are often wrong. Have any of you grown these..I already bought them.

Little Lime paniculata...site says 3-5' tall and wide

Quericifolia Munchkin...site says 4-6' wide, 3' tall

Quercifolia Little Honey...site says 3' tall and wide

I'm trying to figure out where to plant them.

Thanks

hollie

Comments (12)

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

Those shrubs are quite new so it is difficult to forecast if they are (and will remain) truly dwarf or if they are simply slow growers. The estimates are best guesses at 10 years of so, more or less, for a plant grown in one or in a few selected locations. The problem: if you omit one "proper testing location" or guess wrong and you get a plant that gets too big. If you want to, add an extra foot to the numbers and use that number instead. Or use those numbers and prune as needed when they exceed boundaries.

I understand your concern. It is very common for these estimates to be "wrong" anyways. I have some salvias that looked like they were using a nitrogen IV and got bigger than the estimates. I also seem to recall one "recent" (or sort of recent) example where the numbers were off. I think the plant was Little Magnolia Gem and it turned out to be a slow grower magnolia, not as little as originally envisioned.

• natal
    11 years ago

I planted a Little Lime last fall and another this spring. The first one has only grown a little. The second has more than doubled in size. It's almost 3x3. Sorry I'm no help. ;)

• melaroma
    11 years ago

Mine was planted last year and it is filling in nicely. But as Luis said, these are fairly new and we won't know their ultimate size for a couple more years. I would follow his advice on giving it a bit more room than recommended. I have previously bought new cultivars and have been surprised with a bigger plant than announced. Here is a picture of mine and as you can tell she is already making it clear that the spot she is in might be too tight.

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info. I would think they might turn out bigger than listed.

Melaroma, thanks for the photo, I guess that is Little Lime? I plan to place mine just like yours, in a corner by the foundation. I'll probably plan on 5'?

hollie

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Little Honey's been around long enough to make a reasonable determination. I've grown mine in container going on 10 years now and it is easily 3 1/2' tall and more like 5' wide. Never been pruned except for a few dead stems here and there. I'd expect it to be at least 5'x5' after this much time if planted in the ground.

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

gardengal, this surprises me...I had guessed Little Honey would be the smallest with an estimated size of 3'x 3', at this rate, Munchkin is probably the size of a regular oakleaf.

You must have a wide container to accomodate 5' wide. I've considered putting Little Honey or Munchkin into a container but I have nothing that wide.

How has Little Honey done for you? I've read some posts here that it gets brown leaves and isn't very vigorous.

Thanks,

hollie

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

gets brown leaves and isn't very vigorous.

Depends on your climate. In mine it does exactly that. I don't foresee this plant exceeding 3' in my area. Mine also puts out more upright growth, so its more tall than wide.

H. paniculata does much better around here. Little Lime was planted from a 1 gallon last year and its close to 3'. I'd easily hedge towards 5' on this one.

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks whaas. I live on the Coast of California, Santa Cruz, about an hour south of San Francisco. Hydrangeas do very well here...they get really big. We might get as low as 32 degrees once a winter and doesn't get hot here either, max of 80 degrees.

So I guess I'd better plan on them getting bigger than stated?

hollie

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

She extends beyond the sides of the container :-) Mine is a lot wider than tall (obviously). In fact, the plant in the container takes up a considerable chunk of my deck! But then any hydrangea is extremely vigorous in my climate. Regular oakleafs get huge - 8' tall and 10+' wide is not unusual.

I have never had an issue with this plant. I've remarked in other discussions about this plant that it maybe my favorite of all the plants I grow. In too much sun, it can develop some scorched leaves but in mostly shade it just glows. And develops great fall color.

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for that garden gal. I have no more room in the shade area of my patio and I want Little Honey there where I see her daily. So I may go for the pot idea to keep her there. I've got a fairly big and deep pot, maybe 2' diameter...do you think that's wide enough?

Do you have hot summers? Some plants that could only take shade at my old town, can be planted in sun here and never get burned. I think because there is fog and doesn't get real hot. Japanese maples of all types can be planted in full sun here and not get burned. I'm in Sunset zone 17.

I suppose Little Honey would look better in shade since she is such a light color.

hollie

• melaroma
    11 years ago

Oooh! Just looked up munchkin hydrangea and it is gorgeous! Where are those sold? Are they hard to get?

• hollie_z9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I bought all three from Wayside Gardens, mail order. They arrived in a Jackson Perkins box?

Hollie