Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mshelenlu

Lost Cause?

mshelenlu
9 years ago

My poor hydrangea has been wilting from heat for last month and recovering by morning... However, recovery has been less and less and this morning, it still looked like this... She gets 3-4 hours of morning sun and temps have ranged from 75-90 degrees.

Is this a lost cause? Do I need to move her to full shade? Pot her and move to shade? Keep her there and see what happens? Help, it pains me to see her like this...

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

How's the watering? Are you keeping it watered during the hot spells? Is it in the ground, a pot? How long has it been in this spot?

• Lalala (zone 6b)
    9 years ago

Where are you located/what zone are you in? Are those temps unseasonably warm or just the start of a scorching summer?

It looks like your hydrangea might be newly planted (thus more susceptible to wilt than an established plant) and in some kind of raised bed or container (thus with warmer soil that dries out more easily). I'd say try rigging up a screen overtop to filter the direct sun. And keep it well watered; if possible, use a drip irrigation hose so it gets more constant moisture.

• mshelenlu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hcmcdole- it is ina raised bed. I try to keep it watered and mulched, but I have read to much about how they don't like wet feet and I could kill the plant if I overwater, so I am having such a hard time balancing between the over/under water issues. Help? Thanks!

• mshelenlu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lalala - Wow, you hit the nail on the head! Yes, newly planted... yes, raised bed, and yes, no filtered sun, only direct in the morning. And, YES, we are in the process of hooking up our much need drip irrigation.

I will create the shade screen as advised. I live 45 mins north of San Francisco, so we get warm weather, but not too many scorchers with major cool down in the evenings.

I try to keep it well watered without over-watering, but I did notice some unidentifiable mushrooms growing near that soil yesterday. (no where else in my bed though). Does that mean too much moisture? I am afraid if I cut back anymore, the plant will die.

Thank you so much for your help.

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

You can give it 1 gallon of water per watering if the soil feels dry or almost dry to the touch. 3-4" of small shredded mulch will help conserve the moisture and reduce frequent waterings. I would not be concerned if I saw mushrooms nearby. They pop here out of nowhere whenever we get a long strip of rainy days.Water only the soil and do it early in the mornings from the base moving outwards.

Since it is a new plant, it is not used to be in the sun outside at all so it is going thru transplant shock. I would cut the blooms now so the shrub uses its energy and water on the leaves and roots instead. No more fertilizing after the end of the month or so.

• mshelenlu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the nudge to cut the blooms. I know it makes sense, but I have been hoping the blooms would recover enough to enjoy for the rest of the summer. I will provide some shade and more water to the plant and then cut the blooms if she does not recover from her shock in the next week.

Thanks again!

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    9 years ago

Looks very dry.

• Lalala (zone 6b)
    9 years ago

Good luck--I imagine that in San Francisco you'll have no problem getting the hydrangea to settle in and by next year you won't have problems with drooping. Also, the advice about hydrangeas not liking wet feet is probably more for people with a low/soggy spot in their yard, or for pots with no drain holes. I don't think you need to worry a bout it.

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

Oakleaf hydrangeas are the ones especially that don't like wet feet from all I've read. So far all of mine have done very well.

• mshelenlu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great news... so I hit her with a good watering and we had a day of overcast weather with partial sunshine and when I woke up this morning... drum roll.please... she had perked up! She was about 75% recovered this morning and looking better than she has in over a week! I will keep her hydrated and build a sunscreen for her this weekend.

Thank you ALL!

Now to make sure I don't overwater...hehe