Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curlyjenny

Planting location questions

CurlyJenny
9 years ago

I just purchased two varieties of hydrangeas, but have limited options for planting them.

Everlasting Ocean - 2QT
Enchantress - 3.5 Gallon

I have scoped out two spots that may work, but wanted to get advice from more seasoned hydrangea enthusiasts.

The first gets partial sun/shade and is between two mature rose of sharon shrubs over 8 ft tall. This spot looks great given the hydrangea's light requirements, but I am concerned about competition for water with the rose of sharon. There would be a good five feet on either side of the hydrangea.

The second spot is south-facing and gets full sun until early sunset--well over six hours in summer.

The Park Seed description for the Everlasting Ocean says full sun, part shade, so I am wondering if it could withstand the south-facing spot. I would like to put the Enchantress in the shadier spot between the rose of sharon.

Any advice on this and any other care for transplanting would be much appreciated. I have not tested my soil, but would love for the bloom color to go blue.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

Nice grabs! How much did you pay for them? Was Enchantress in a Monrovia pot?

What you said sounds perfect. Everlasting series is rigid while Enchantress can droop/flop. I have many hydrangeas around and between hibiscus syriacus. But, just use slow release pellet fertilizer on the hydrangeas only - the rose of Sharon need little care. Same thing with water - water H. Macrophylla regularly and only water the other in extreme drought

You'll also have to pull up rose of Sharon seedlings yearly, where you can pitch them, give them away, or make a hedge row with them somewhere.

• livreosa
    9 years ago

This is my first year growing hydrangeas, so I'm probably the lowest tier answer, but I might have a little information that's relevant.

I have two Everlasting Revolutions in full sun, and they are doing quite well-- they've never wilted except once when the pots got completely dry (before I put them in the ground). The Revolution, like the Ocean, is also supposed to be full sun-part sun- part shade (which is one reason I chose this variety). I can't seem to find any pictures of the "bark" and the leaves are too thick right now for me to get a picture, but the Pistachio has a very green stem, while the revolutions have very sturdy, woody stems. They also have smaller leaves, which I think makes them more sun-tolerant. The other hydrangea variety I have (Horwack) was wilting regularly when I had it in full sun (I had the pots stationed together at first to ease watering).

So, yes, I agree with the far more experienced Springwood that your planned planting strategy is probably the best for the varieties you have. I hope they do well, and good luck!

• CurlyJenny
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Springwood and Livreosa! Yes, the Enchantress is a Monrovia from a local garden center. It was around $30 with a coupon. And the Everlasting was on sale from Park Seed for $14. And they accidentally sent me two, so it was an even better deal! The Pistachio looks beautiful. The Enchantress has beautiful black stems and dark leaves. I am excited to plant both. Hopefully, the Everlasting will like full sun. Is it okay to use pine bark mulch around them?

And, yes, those rose of sharon sprouts are rampant and one of my favorite thing to weed right now. ;)