Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Limelight showing no signs of blooming yet

Posted by divamum 7 MD (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 08 at 18:26

Hi all -

Last year I planted a Limelight which did fantastically well - I think I planted it in early August, and it just kept going right through September.

This year it has probably quadrupled in size and looks very healthy but... no signs of flowers yet. Nada. Not so much as a hint of a bud. Is it simply too early for it to be showing signs? (the ones around here bloom july/august, I believe)

Does it need more than the general fertilizer I'm giving it? It gets plenty of sun, is well mulched and, as I say, looks absurdly healthy. Just want to keep it happy and hopefully repeat the spectacular display it gave us last year!

Similarly, I got a Nikko at Lowes this year. It had one bloom on it when I got it (maybe a month ago). I've planted it where it gets more afternoon than morning sun (the only place it could go - not ideal, but I thought for $13 it was worth trying!), but it only gets a couple of hours - it doesn't seem to be burning so far. But it's also showing no signs of further buds other than the one which was growing when I bought it.

If it's any clue, I have two monarda (also planted last year) which are also swathes of (TALL)foliage and no flowers. I keep wondering if it's somethign to do with the cool, VERY wet spring (and we're still way above normal rainfall this year, even though temperatures are now at normal heat levels)?

Thanks for any ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Limelight showing no signs of blooming yet

My limelights don't have buds either, well, I haven't checked them in the last few days, but they didn't have them when I did check. I'm in a colder zone than you, but I think these are the late to bloom/bud anyways.

o

I'm in Tennessee and I just bought one at a local nursery. She had them outside in large 3 gallon containers. They are now getting buds. Here's a photo...

I hope these bloom more reliably than the old fashioned hydrangeas. Maybe someone who has had one bloom 2 years in a row could tell us more...Please!

o

Pot grown plants bloom earlier than established ones in the ground, though. Just a thought.

o

Thanks. So it will bloom later next year then. I hope they bloom every year. Some hydrangeas around here don't bloom well each year.

o

Hi,
I don't think you will have to wait until next year for limelight to bloom. My limelights are not showing signs of buds yet either, but don't worry they should bloom without a problem at all....just a little later this year by a couple of weeks.

o

I don't have any bud on my Limelight yet. However, I am not really worried - the buds will come near July and once they come, they really come fast!

o

Mine bloom later in the summer--much later than my oakleafs. Adds a nice touch when some other things have quit.

o

Thanks everybody!

The funny thing is that almost immediately after I had posted my question.... it showed some buds! And even the Monarda looks like it's going to give it a try; not sure what changed it's mind, but maybe we're just running late due to the cool, wet spring.

Thanks!

o
RE: showing no signs of blooming yet

I have several Hydrangeas all of them are covered in blooms and bloom every year. But I have one that never blooms.It has very healthy dark green leaves and the plant is growing and appears healthy, but, it has only bloomed once. What can I do to get it to bloom?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here