Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oakleaf little honey leaves

Posted by miclino 5 SE MI (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 21, 10 at 18:49

Planted an oakleaf hydrangea little honey a few weeks ago and it seemed to be doing well. It is in sun till 2pm. Does not appear to be in dry soil as the soil at base is moist. The leaves look healthy and new leaves are appearing. Beautiful gold foliage.

Problem is I see some foliage with leaves burning at the end. One of them has reddish discoloration as it burns to a black. Not enough water? Too much water? ideas? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oakleaf little honey leaves

Pic from top showing some brown discoloration on top leaves. Other foliage looks healthy. No wilting.

Photobucket

A few leaves burning at the ends as you can see. Although I only saw the red coloration on one leaf.

Photobucket

o

Possibly too much moisture. Oakleafs will not tolerate excessive moisture in the root zone.
Withhold water, remove the mulch, wait for a few days and check for soil moisture around the plant. If still damp, there is a drainage problem, that must be corrected, for the plant to survive.
Water only when the top 2-3 inches of soil becomes dry.
gal. of water = approximately 1" per ft

All of my Oakleafs, including 'Little Honey' are grown in either, well drained sandy loam, on a slope (when there is heavy (clay) soil), raised beds (at least 8" above surrounding area) or in pots, with well draining ground bark, perlite and compost mix.

o

Could be an overhead watering, especially in a late part of the day.
There is nothing to be overly worry yet. Plant is still young and need to settle. It will go away after first overwintering.

o

I think you might both be right. I have a sprinkler head nearby and I adjusted it to also hit the hydrangea because I heard they were water hogs. This was three times a week. Needless to say I stopped that a week ago. Have also moved mulch as suggested. It is in a raised bed but unfortunately on a lower corner of the bed. Not much I can do now about that. I should have raised the plant itself slightly higher because I feel rainfall might drain to the lower corner of this bed where the hydrangea is situated. Not much I can do now is there?

Thanks guys. Love the foliage on this plant. I would love it to flower but won't be upset if it doesnt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here