Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sally6340

New hydrangea!

I bought a new, very healthy, white hydrangea at Home Depot. The card states that it's called "Summer Cloud", 36" t x 24" w. Blooms from early spring - fall. I can find absolutely nothing about it online. Anyone ever heard of it or have any additional info? THANKS!

Comments (19)

• livreosa
    9 years ago

Could you post a picture of the label, or the variety/ scientific name (like Hydrangea macrophylla .... )? I would bet it's a re-branded hydrangea that is well known by a different trade name. I saw a bunch of hydrangeas at Home Depot a few weeks ago, all re-branded, but I recognized the flowers as being a known variety, whereas I'd never heard of the name listed as the variety by Home Depot. You'll be able to get a lot more information about the variety and how well it performs if we can figure out the variety (and it'll be a good reference for anyone else who buys one and goes searching the internet for more information on these). :)

• sally6340 (6a, So OH)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your quick response! Sending pic of front of card. I can send a pic of the plant itself tomorrow if that would help. ?

• sally6340 (6a, So OH)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of back of label. Hoping this helps. What you said really makes sense.

• livreosa
    9 years ago

Oh wow! That was quick! :)

Here's where I'm going to have to admit that I am new to hydrangeas and I don't recognize that variety on first sight. It's a small white mophead with cupped flowers, and according to the scan info, it's a rebloomer (blooms on old and new wood). White mopheads are pretty uncommon, so that narrows the list a lot, but I also don't know about many of them as I wanted colored hydrangeas when I went variety searching.

Is the foliage that dark of a green in real life? It's beautiful contrast, if so!

Based on the cupped flower shape, I thought it might be from the Everlasting brand, which I think Home Depot carries. I'm guessing that it's Hydrangea macrophylla 'Napo' Magical Pearl. I've linked to the vendor's page so you can compare it to your tag, picture, and plant.

I haven't heard much about it, if that is the plant it turns out to be, so I'd love to hear updates about how it's doing for you (what zone are you in?)!

Hope that helps, and hopefully someone with more experience will come along soon and confirm my guess or have a better idea for you. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Magical Pearl?

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

Yup. Recently they've been carrying unbranded versions of patented plants (not sure how they've been able to do this). Still nothing but Teller Blue in my area, which is worthless in zone 6.

The picture is of cultivar 'White Ball' which is sold as White Out as part of the Forever & Ever line. It is indeed extremely compact but be cautioned that its blooms will scorch in sun after a week or two after opening, if in any amount of non-morning sun.

Just go to the page below and compare the photos - it's the same photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: F&E White Out - official page

• sally6340 (6a, So OH)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey, thanks for all the info! Really appreciate it. Great info on the site you sent! I agree with you - it does look like Majical Pearl. And it is beautiful, blooms and leaves as well. I also love the colored hydrangeas, but when I saw this white one, I fell in love with it. We don't have much shade here, so it's sitting under a 2nd story deck that gives it the protection it needs. Actually I had to move it there because in its original location, it was wilting by 11:00!
    Info on Magical Pearl states full sun to partial shade so don't know about that.
    Of course, I do think some of them can adjust to sun. I have 5 Cityline Venice, a gorgeous pink, that are in hot evening sun. Took a couple of years to get them established, but they are doing fine now. In the 1st year kept them watered to the point that they ended up with fungal issues, but the battle has been worth it now. :)

• sally6340 (6a, So OH)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! Just checked out White Out. The sun issue adds up with this one. Certainly can't take full sun as indicated with Magical Pearl. Appreciate the help! I just registered on GardenWeb yesterday & realize I should have done so a long time ago! :)

• livreosa
    9 years ago

Oh wow, it's lovely! I'm glad Springwood came by to give his opinion, he's definitely right. :)

• sally6340 (6a, So OH)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, livreosa, I'm really pleased with it! It's my 9th hydrangea. :). I have Strawberry Vanilla, Little Lime, Cityline Venice, & now White Out. :) What hydrangeas do you have?

• livreosa
    9 years ago

I only have a few right now, I just started researching bushes in spring and ended up wanting hydrangeas. I have three tiny hydrangea bushes right now-- two Everlasting Revolutions (variety Hokomarevo), and a Forever and Ever Pistachio (variety Horwack). I'm not sure if the Horwack is going to bloom this year (the plants are only about 6-8 inches wide as yet), but the Revolutions are already starting to bloom, which is exciting and unexpected for the size of the plants.

I am thinking now that we've decided to build a back bed, a few more compact hydrangea bushes could be planted by the back of the house and at least one more near the tree in back. >:D But we'll need to build up the soil near the tree first (it's been slowly eroded over the years before we moved in), so it might not happen for a year or so. :) I do think a white hydrangea (or Lemon daddy which has yellow foliage), might look well under the tree as it's quite shady and bright foliage or flowers will contrast well.

• sally6340 (6a, So OH)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I have seen the Pistachio, great colors, absolutely beautiful! I'm sure you will love it! I am not familiar with Everlasting Revolutions, but there are a lot of hydrangeas I'm not familiar with. :). Fortunately, the new varieties keep popping up yearly, and it's great to have so many choices.

Good luck with your future plans! Sounds like you have some wonderful ideas! Since we both have fallen in love with hydrangea, I'm going to attempt to post 3 pics here. The pink one is Cityline Venice, which is my favorite. The 2nd & 3rd cream colored ones are Little Lime, a dwarf version of Limelight. I bought them at our local nursery and suspect they may have been incorrectly tagged. Not much of a dwarf, so they may actually be Limelight. Last year they grew even larger than what you see in these pictures.

• sally6340 (6a, So OH)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Little Lime

• livreosa
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I am really considering the Venice as a future purchase, the reviews I've seen have been excellent and I love how vivid the bloom colors are! Good luck with your garden. :)

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

Those could be Little Limes. You probably just provided ideal growing conditions for them. Note the creamier colored blooms - this differentiates them from traditional Limelight.

After testing a lot of plants, the ones you folks have are definitely top choices - I'd say top-5 in each hydrangea category.

I haven't overwintered Revolution outside yet, but this next one will tell that tale.

• sally6340 (6a, So OH)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! I think you would be really pleased with the Venice. It only blooms on old wood though, so is not a repeat bloomer, but I just leave its blooms on through fall. They fade, of course, but still are very attractive.

Thanks, Springwood, for your input. They grew around 5 ft. tall last year, so I started to suspect they might not be a dwarf. Wasn't sure what to call them. :) So now I will say Little Lime with more confidence. :) I'm really excited to see what my Strawberry Vanilla (or is it Vanilla Strawberry - I never can remember) does this year. Last year was my first year with it, and the blooms were so large & heavy, the stems could not support their weight. Really looked awful. Of course, I planted it in my "front" yard so the whole world could see! I'm hoping this year the stems will be stronger.

• splitrock
    9 years ago

Question for fellow 6a gardeners. Did you do any winter protection for your hydrangeas? Cityline Venice looks fabulous.

• sally6340 (6a, So OH)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This winter when temps dipped to -20 & -30 I added extra mulch to my Venice hydrangeas. I probably had 5" total trying to protect the roots & honestly I'm surprised they survived. The only problem is that they're not blooming, which I expected when I saw they were coming back from the base, no leaves at all on the limbs. Since they set their buds in the fall, & bloom on old wood only, no blooms this year is certainly understandable. However, they are extremely healthy. I'm thrilled they survived several -30
    nights and am more than willing to wait until next year for their blooms. They are worth it! Perhaps Springwood has some suggestions on how to protect the buds when temps get so cold. This is the 1st time they have not bloomed, have always been faithful bloomers. Sending a pic, so you can see the leaves after such a harsh winter. Still need to cut those dead branches.

• sally6340 (6a, So OH)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more thing from zone 6a. I did nothing to protect my Little Lime & Vanilla Strawberry hydrangeas from the harsh winter, and they are thriving.
    I think the paniculatas must be almost indestructible.