Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea ID

Posted by paigeag (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 19:42

This is a new home for us so this was already here. It is in pretty sad shape and doesn't look like it will bloom this year. Any idea what type it is?

Untitled

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea ID

Could be one of hundreds; without a bloom there's not much uniquely identifiable about it. It's actually looks to be in good shape to me health-wise.

This is a terrible year for plants. I think a lot of places out there this year are facing rain deficits, so there's going to be weak growth and skimpy blooms. I've lived in PA my whole life, and never have I seen it this dry and sunny. I go out to nurseries and see overwintered stock and one or two truckloads - after that, nothing. I think one hardware store gave up on plants and is liquidating what's left.

Congratulations on your new home. A home with hydrangeas is a happy one, providing the interior US isn't turning into a dust bowl!

o

Thanks! Yep I'm in Chicago and if this isn't a drought I don't know what is! I've done lots of new planting and am struggling to keep everything happy and healthy!

Do you think it is a Mac?

o

Most of Chicago is approx a Zone 5b and most macs do not well in Zone 5. The problem is that the plant survives but the blooms tend not survive so the macs that you can see out there would be reblooming macs.

Paniculatas, oakleafs and some arborescens will survive in your Z5. They should be all starting to bloom now though. However there are a few that do not start until very very late (July). If you get no blooms by the end of the next month, I would back to thinking that it is a mac.

Is it not possible to get the answer from the previous home owner? Some people grow macs in very cold zones like yours but they winter protect the macs so the blooms will not be lost. If they prev owners were busy selling the house, the mac may not have been winter protected so it now has no blooms.

o

(Yes, that's a mac)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here