Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Care of potted Hydrangea....

Posted by summiebee 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 19:49

I am planning on potting a red forever and ever hydrangea in a clay pot. When late fall/winter comes. Do I just bring it into the unheated garage like I would a rose tree? I want to make sure this is doable before I "do" it. I really like the way they look in a traditional clay pot and thought this may be a good idea to keep from having to plant this large clay pot with flowers each year.
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Care of potted Hydrangea....

I guess I should also ask if this is the best one to pot for the most blooms for the longest time?

o

Plants in pots usually have to be 1-2 zone down from your zone to survive well outside. Make sure place you put it in winter is very well protected.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 2, 06 at 5:06

From Dan at Heronswood...'for those in less benign climates wishing to containerize hydrangea - plant a 1 gal hydrangea directly into a 15 - 25 gal container of bark based soilless medium. Fertilize and water as for those planted in the ground, replace potting medium every three years or as needed. Move to garage, unheated porch, greenhouse for winter, protecting only during the coldest months. '

o

THanks for the info. I will have to try this and see how it works out. :) I have the proper sized container and soil. SO I will go buy one tomorrow and put it in my garage nov-april. :)
Summie

o

Few more tips,
-don't forget to water it sometimes during the winter as you probably do with a tree roses. What I usually do, when we got a fresh snow (not so often), I throw one-two showels of it at the base of the plant and let it melt naturally.
-though you could bring hydrangea out of garage earlier than roses, late winter/early spring freezes could kill swelling flowering buds and all your troubles will be for nothing.
On another side, in dark garage new growth will be yellowish, weak and succeptible to powdery mildew or leaf spot.
Therefore, if you put your large 15-25G pot on a some kind of cart and will be able to carry it in and out of garage starting from March you'll do good to the plant and make your hauling much more effortless. 25G pot with mature hydrangea could weight around 100lbs.

I'm in a warmer end of z6 and hydrangeas in ground blooms for me in 4 years out of 5, but I need it in a one place where it can't be planted, so I'm doing pot overwintering and it works perfectly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here