Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea Spacing

Posted by kingme77 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 19:53

Hello everyone. I have decided to plant some shrubs in the front of my house. Upon trying to decide what I wanted I continuously came back to hydrangeas. I settled on three different ones. Nikko Blue, Tokyo Delight, and the new Vanilla Strawberry. I have the place picked out, however I am worried that maybe I do not have enough space for all three. The bed in question measures 18' long. And I see that each Hydrangea can get up to 6' wide. The space is in between a birch tree and our front porch. I have attached pictures so you can get a better idea. I know the existing shrubs in the pictures will have to go. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. And if you haven't figured it out, I am no expert.
Thank you.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea Spacing

I have 3 hydrangeas planted close together in my front yard but they are all the same. I thought of putting a different hydrangea in the middle and after walking past another perosns yard I decided against it and returned the plant. I took a picture and if I can figure out how to post it I will. It was an azalea between two evergreen bushes and the evergreens were choking out the azalea creating this weird pink stripe between the evergreens.

If you plant them close together you will need to be on top of your pruning. If not you could end up with a funky stripe down the road. I had no choice but to plant my ES's close together I have one shady spot on my entire property. Also be aware of sun requirements, I think a vanilla strawberry requires more sun than a Nikko blue.

o
RE: Hydrangea Spacing

Thank you for the reply DDhydrangea. I have just planted all three today. They are about 5' apart and each should receive roughly 7 hours of afternoon sun starting at 1PM and ending at sun down. I know they prefer morning sun, I am hoping they will be OK in afternoon. Not sure if that's to much or not enough. If I need to prune then I will, I guess time will tell.

On an off-topic note, I clicked on your name and noticed we share the same birthday. Funny huh,

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here