Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hokierustywilliamsbu

Midnight Salsa

Lowes has Midnight Salsa hydrangea-leaves look a lot like Lady In Red but they are mops-anyone know anything about them????

Comments (20)

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

OK, what pot size and what price?? Dying to know...

It appears to be a newly-trademarked hydrangea by Kurt Weiss Greenhouses (2011, issued March 2012). I've already looked into this outfit - they do a lot of great work with hydrangeas behind the scenes, creating new breeds, etc. without really telling anybody. It's ironic you see them at Lowe's since Kurt Weiss was growing many of the Tesselaar Gift Hydrangeas that were sold there earlier this spring ("______ & Cream" series).

I'm still in amazement over Blackberries & Cream, as it's sending up stems with florets from the crown, and there are more florets coming off of stems that I just trimmed the old blooms off of, which were dark magenta and a foot across (and not lacecaps either)!

There was one picture I saw of Midnight Salsa, absolutely beautiful with deep pink flowers with darker red petal edges.

Another one to look out for is "Sandy Summer". Maybe this has Endless Summer somewhere in the lineage, who knows??

I've attached a link for a Youtube video that highlights what Kurt Weiss has been doing lately with hydrangeas - once again, very cool (many unique varieties), and it includes the photo of Midnight Salsa. Maybe they are also behind the goofy fiasco of mixing breeds labeled Merritt's and Blue Danube, which occurred at Lowe's this past month.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kurt Weiss Hydrangeas 2012

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

Here is a link that might be useful: KW Hydrangea PDF catalogue

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

From what I've seen so far, KW's stuff has thick stems and strong blooms. The blooms will fade and the leaves will burn before there is any kind of droop. Blooms on my Blackberries & Cream lasted about a month and a half before fading.

On these new ones (people should give them a try anyway - they are unique!), I would be looking for evidence of blooms occurring on new green stems coming from around soil level, and also evidence of new buds coming laterally off main stems that have already been cut back this year. That would make it an automatic winnner down to zone 6. KW seems to be bragging that their stuff should bloom every year, so I would expect them not to be wasting their time with all of this new marketing they've been doing.

I think most of KW's stuff isn't supposed to exceed 3-4' in diameter also, to give you an idea of size.

--------------------------------------------------
    Afternote:
    In addition to their breeding programs, KW seems to get some of their stuff from breeders in Holland. That one white one in the PDF catalog that caught my eye, "Clarissa" is just one of them. I strongly believe this one may have made it into the F&E 'Early Sensation' pot that I found last month, once again at Lowe's.

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

Back to midnight salsa... It seems like it has been floating around Europe for a few years as simply "Salsa" and is supposed to get about 4x4'...

I just picked one up (and was NOT impressed by the Sandy Summer specimens, so I skipped them). At fist glance, one might think "This looks like Preziosa on crack!".. The bloom on the left is coming from a crown stem, so that is a good sign for northerners who want to throw a pile of leaves on it over winter...

The flowers appear very loose and floppy, but this may differ when grown properly through the end of this season into next, in native climate. Not sure if I would trust this anywhere but a very sheltered location. We will have to see...

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

Any mention of leaf color in the fall? (from the plant label)?

• compost1311
    11 years ago

I just picked 2 of these up at my local Lowes. They are Sandy Summer from Kurt Weiss green houses. I wasn't looking to buy any plants but I couldn't resist. And for 15 dollars, I think they are quite large for the price and plenty of blooms, at least 5 new blooms still green right now on one of them. I think they look much better in person, as my camera makes the creamy pink look a bit drab. I'm guessing they're a variation of macrophylla and should be cared for like other mopheads? I planted them on the north side of my house where they receive only 2-4 hours of direct early morning sun. After 10am they're in shade the rest of the day (Will they thrive with this much light)?

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

Yes, they should have enough light since they probably get indirect bright light in the afternoon. The more direct sunlight, the better of course but you need to get shade starting around 12pm or so. Dappled afternoon sun also works. If you notice that they do not produce enough bloomage in future years, you can always move them to another location that gets slightly more sunlight.

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

My newly planted Salsa is holding up on consecutive 90 degree days with infrequent watering. It gets partial shade midday from my Quick Fire which is now 6' tall. Although the blooms are loose, I use the firmness of the leaves to gauge hydration, and they're not drooping. 2" of fresh mulch helped too.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Both Midnight Salsa and Sandy
    summer are coming back fine-will see what they do this year!

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

My MS died to about 6" from the ground. The shoots/leaves are already coming up the same color though, even as new growth. Very cool. Whether or not it blooms, I know it'll need time to get a healthy root system from a 1-gal size.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes the Reddish leaf of MS is indeed quite nice. I wonder if it has Lady in Red in its backgroung....

• mzdee
    10 years ago

So who got blooms on Midnight Salsa? I have gorgeous foliage but no blooms this year. Anyone???

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got 2 blooms but plant is still very small

• vasue VA
    10 years ago

Hokierusty, fell for a Sandy Summer last week & wondering how yours is doing this year? I'm near Charlottesville & hope for similar results though at least a zone above yours. Anticipating the pink will eventually bloom blue after it's matured in woodsy acidic soil?

• October_Gardens
    10 years ago

No blooms for me this year. It's still a young plant, so I'll give it time and possibly move it once or twice, depending...

• marquest
    10 years ago

I purchased both Salsa and Sandy Summer at Lowes today for 3.00.

They both had big blooms on them. Previously 14.99 on sale for 3.00.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sandy summer no bloom and Midnight Salsa one bloom-both plants are still small.....

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

$3was a good deal-I got a huge dried out Alpenglow with several buds for $10 today at Lowes-it was a rescue-so will find somewhere for it to go....

• bexaida
    8 years ago

I found the lvely Midnight Salsa at Loews too. But it was in full bloom and just glorious in bloom. And the striping lip on the edge was so visaible . I was so impressed with it. It was a gift for my daughter who wanted nice pink toned Hydrangea for her new home in the 6a zone. It is now in a very large concrete urn after keeping it's flowers for weeks into the high heat of July's end going into August. I even got two very young cyttings when I transplanted it from the 8-9 inch pot it was in. And they are still green.

I am impressed with KW Hydrangeas. Will be getting more of them to build a Hydrangea pathway.