Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Annabelle or Limelight: Which can I keep pruned?

alisande
12 years ago

I'd like to get a hydrangea for in front of my daughter's porch. My favorite is Limelight, and I've read good things about Annabelle. Both grow taller than she would want in that spot, so I was wondering about the chances of keeping either of them pruned to about four feet.

Also, is Annabelle a water hog like the mopheads? I'm not familiar with her class of hydrangeas.

Thanks! If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears. :-)

Comments (10)

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    12 years ago

Do yourself a huge favor and get something that will stay more closely to size by itself.
    Little Lambs are similar to Limelights but smaller.
    I'm sure there are others that will be recommended to you shortly.
    But to be constantly having to prune to keep to size gets old eventually and sooner or later you will time it wrong and forfeit the blooms, and that just leads to dissatisfaction and yanking them out.
    IMO plants always look far better when allowed to achieve their full potential.

• alisande
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good point. I have Little Lamb, and have been less than pleased with its floppiness. Limelight and Annabelle are the only two I could find locally that are reliably hardy. I have Endless Summer, but hesitate to recommend it to my daughter because bloom is always stingy for me. Sadie Ray shows more promise, but I haven't had it long enough to really know.

One of the local nurseries has Berlin and Venice from the Citylines series, but I need something that can bloom reliably without protection. My daughter's property is lakefront. I don't know if this makes her zone a little warmer than mine or not.

Thanks!

• Hydrangea729
    12 years ago

Look into 'Little Lime' (not lamb). I do not grow it, but is supposed to have strong stems.

Also go to http://www.hydrangeafarm.com/catalog/product.cgi/4/24/P1/default/N/0 and check out Hydrangea arborescens 'Ryan Gainey' which is a smaller version of 'Annabelle' supposed to stay under four feet. The people at Hydrangea Farm Nursery are the BEST! They love these plants and it is very obvious.

• alisande
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I hadn't heard of Little Lime, but it sounds perfect. I might even want one for myself. I love my Limelights, but there are spots where a smaller version would be lovely.

"Ryan Gainey" looks great, too. Maybe I'll offer my daughter a choice......

• alisande
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just ordered three Little Limes, on sale from Park's. Other vendors were out of stock. I've had good luck with Park's roses in the past, so I'm excited. Thanks again for the recommendations!

• vbnet
    12 years ago

I live in zone 5, have an annabelle on the north side of the house, it's never gotten any bigger than 4 (tall x 4.5 wide. I cut it to 2-3 inches above the ground in March.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Here in Zone 6 (Kansas), my two Annabelles grow up to 4 ft. and no taller. They like an extra drink on hot days, but I would not describe them as "waterhogs."

I love my Annabelles. Visitors always remark on them when they are in bloom. They cover the first half of the summer. My two new (last year) paniculatas (Strawberry Vanilla and something like it that I can't remember right off hand) should be big and mature enough this year to cover the second half of the summer, don't you think?

Kate

• vbnet
    12 years ago

I just bought a vs today. I hope it does well. I have 2 limelights also, bought 2 years ago, they were 3 ft tall then and have grown to about 4 feet. I meant to prune back 1/3rd but waited too long. The first yr, their blooms were spectacular. Last year just so so. We'll see about this year. One is in the back yard mostly full sun, the 2nd is in front, northern exposure, I would say full to part sun. Size,this far north i don't think is going to be an issue at all.

• ditas
    12 years ago

It seems like everyones Annabelle around where I am are staying closer 3x3 or at the most 4x4 mine for the past 2 season grew to 5ft & perhaps only because I caged her did she stay a decent width ~ also held her mops better!

This Spring I pruned her hard after she has put out a great deal of greens from the base - will see if she stays a bit closer to 4ft - she is so loaded now so hopefully she does!