Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpsmps_gw

Endless Summer in full shade?

mpsmps
13 years ago

I live just north of Atlanta and have a shady corner under the trees where I'd like to plant a hydrangea. Would Endless Summer be a good choice? Does it need some sun to bloom, as this area gets full shade almost all day?

Thank you.

Comments (5)

• wild_belief
    13 years ago

True full shade is unfortunately too dark for hydrangeas of any sort. You might be able to keep one alive, but they really do need some sun to bloom. That said, I often find that areas that seem to have full shade at first glance actually get more sun than they appear to. What time of day is the area less shaded (I notice you said *almost* all day), and what sort of trees are providing the coverage?

• sue36
    13 years ago

Blue Billow won't even grow in (almost) full shade, no way ES will. Not only will it not bloom, it likely won't even have a nice flush of leaves.

• mpsmps
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thank you. The area is under oaks and some smaller trees and really only gets dappled sun first thing in the morning. By 10:00 it's in full shade.
    Can you suggest some sort of shrub or bush that would grow there, preferably evergreen?

• wild_belief
    13 years ago

Here are some you could check out:

-Sweetbox (sarcococca): I think maybe the best fit I can think of off the top of my head for your conditions. The Oriental Sweetbox (Sarcococca orientalis) in particular, is a beautiful evergreen shrub for heavy shade that flowers fragrantly in the winter.

-Plum yew (Cephalotaxus)

-Aucuba

-Henry Anise (Illicium henryi)- beautiful, evergreen, and flowering, but smelly when in bloom; I guess it depends on how close you're going to get- and it *will* take as much shade as you've got here in ATL, regardless of what the descriptions may say.

-And this one may be a bit of a stretch, but Sweetshrub might work, though it's not evergreen ('Michael Lindsey' sweetshrub is particularly captivating). It would certainly survive, but might not flower much. I mention it though because as a native, it is likely to be more adaptable than other non-natives (and because I can't help myself- I love that plant!)

Others will probably have much more expert and appropriate suggestions, but hopefully this will give you somewhere to start!

• mpsmps
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, I'll look into these.