Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terrybull

ants

terrybull
12 years ago

i got a pink sensation in a half wiskey barrel and ants have gone in through the drain holes are making a new home. what can i do without killing the tree. lots of ants and i dont mind there death!

Comments (5)

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

If they occur in large numbers, you may want to investigate what organic products are available in organic plant nurseries close to where you live. I use one but it is sold locally only.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ant control article

• terrybull
    Original Author
    12 years ago

i got the ants gone but i didnt take much care in protecting the tree during the winter. i trimed the dead brittle branches off. but there is no new growth and i taken my finger nail and scraped the bark and its still green underneith. is there something that can be done to get it going.

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

It sounds like it may stressed for some reason and the ants are not the cause but a result of. It should have leafed out by now so this does not bode well. Lack of leaf out may suggest a weather problem (late frosts; too cold) or problems down in the potting mix.

I would keep the soil well mulched, maintain the soil evenly moist and get one of those soil testing kits to (a) make sure that the pH is acidic and (2) that there is no mineral deficiency in the potting mix. In addition to checking the soil pH, these kits make sure that the nitrogen/etc levels are low, ok or high.

I would also add some root stimulator and, if you have some, mycorrhizal fungi. A fertilizer can be added if it is a scheduled application but maybe reduce it by half until it is no longer stressed so much. On a shrub planted in the ground, I would not give it fertilizer but in this potted hydrangea, it may be necessary since the potting soil needs to be replenished every now and then. So do not make extra applications but continue applying fertilizer as you normally do.

So basically, treat it as if you have just transplanted it. Lots of monitoring and TLC. It is somehow stressed and definitely not doing well.

P/S can be slightly sensitive to weather issues so I was wondering... Were there any weather issues this year? What zone are you trying to grow it in? Do you leave it outisde during winter? Also, do you have any known pests in your garden such as voles, moles, etc?

I am not familiar with P/S so I looked information on the Internet. Found one place (Cottage Farms Direct) that rates it hardy to zone 3.... which does not sound right for a H. macrophylla (most are hardy to zone 6-7 unless they are rebloomers and theeen reblooming macrophyllas are only hardy to Zones 4-5 only). Most of the other references on the Internet did not give winter hardiness claims.

• terrybull
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cottage farms is where it came from. im in zone 4 and i did leave it out during the winter. i know now. no other pests its in a container. mycorrhizal fungi, i do have. i will try that and see if it helps. thanks for the help.

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

If it recovers, I would make plans to bring it inside during the winter months and water it every two weeks or so.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!