Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea Macrophylla Burning Embers Zone 5

Posted by patriciac z5IL (patricia8249@aol.com) on
Wed, Jun 8, 05 at 21:26

Okey Dokey. I posted here a few months ago because I am just outside Chicago, in Zone 5 and last summer I purchased 4 Burning Embers Hydrangea Macrophylla that are supposed to be everblooming.

Well, I posted because last year they didn't grow very much or sport many flowers. I was told to write them off because they wouldn't survive in my area.

Well, it's June now and although they haven't grown much in height or width over last year, they have TONS of flower buds which didn't happen last year.

To add to my confusion last years wood is just sitting there dry looking and lifeless, without any green whereas all the green growth came up from the bottom.

Is this normal?

Can I trim the unsightly wood?

Will it grow very much and if so how can I help it along?

Any help would be appreciated!!! I don't want to give up on these plants, but truthfully I bought them to cover an ugly iron fence across my back yard!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea Macrophylla Burning Embers Zone 5

I think I have four of these hydrangeas, but I thought the name was Glowing Embers.
ANYway, the landscaper put them in about four years ago. They bloomed after the first winter, but not since. I cut them back to the ground each spring, not knowing they're supposed to bloom on old wood, except this spring I left them alone. The old wood is dead-looking, bit I think the plants are just beginning to bud from the new growth. They're getting that chartreuse color that happens just before buds form.
I, too, am confused. I can tell you one thing. They're still about the same size they were when they were first planted.
If you want something that'll grow like a monster, may I suggest some Annabelles?

o
RE: Hydrangea Macrophylla Burning Embers Zone 5

I live in southern Wisconsin,almost on the Illinois border and I have Annabelle and she is doing "okay". Not a bad bloomer,but nothing great. They do like the shade though,at least mine do. Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here