Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Japanese Beetle attack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ostrich
14 years ago

I just cannot believe it. First it's those darn deer munching on my lovely hydrangeas, now it's the Japanese Beetles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I came home this evening, and I noticed that my Quick Fire and Annabelle both had some strange, mini "bite marks" on the edge of the leaves. It's very weird looking. Then I noticed that there were a couple of Japanese Beetles feasting on a leaf! I was so mad that even though I found it totally gross, I picked up the beetles and crushed them!!!

Why on earth are these despicable things now eating on my hydrangeas??? What's next????????

Comments (5)

• alisande
    14 years ago

Oh, dear . . . I didn't realize they'd go for hydrangeas. Maybe they've never bothered mine because they have so many roses to feast on here.

A plastic container filled with water plus a few drops of dish detergent makes a nice final resting place for Japanese Beetles. No squishing necessary.

• ostrich
    Original Author
    14 years ago

alisande, these darn things never went for my hydrangeas before either! I would find a couple of them resting on the limelight before, but this year, they went on an attack!!! The roses, on the other hand, have been relatively spared so far! What on earth is going on here?

Well, it does sound terrible - though the squishing is not necessary but is very cathartic and satisfying....!

• ditas
    14 years ago

Get them now & quick ... any which way!!!

2 of my roses got skeletonized almost overnight ugh! The 'El Nino' Spring woke up all this munching bugs ... earwigs & spittle bugs too, on Hydrangea leaves ... double ugh!!!

I used the 'Cornell University formula' (not the C U formula raising car! LOL) to save $$$ ... baking soda, canola oil (or neem oil) & H2O ... sprayed the dickens on them & the entire rose bushes. I pruned after the blooms of Jun are done ... they are healthier & filling with buds once again ... Nikko, F&E & MD were left alone too! Â;)

Good luck on your "cathartic & satisfying" method Ostrich ... zapping with a spray is "cathartic & satisfying" as well!!!

• ostrich
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ditas, happy July 4th!!!

I have never heard of the Cornell University formula - so what do I do with the baking soda??? Or canola oil??? Hmm... I need to look that up!

Between the deer and the JB, I am just so fed up!!! LOL! Can you believe it? The deer almost ruined my two achilleas yesterday? What the heck? I thought that achilleas were supposedly DEER RESISTANT!? Sigh...

Have a wonderful holiday!

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi Ostrich - Happy 4th to you as well! Cook-out is postponed for tomorrow due to rain ... we'll just watch the colorful sky from our deck tonite!

I went to the Rose Forum as well as the Organic Gardening Forum to cut down on $$$ for Insecticidal Spray for my roses etc ... found the basic Cornell formula & other adjustments to the original from experienced gardeners.

Cornell formula original: 1 Tbsp Baking Soda, 2 Tbsp Horticulcural Spray Oil to a gal of water. Shake your spray bottle as you spray. (b. soda is desicant & oil, so as not to wash off).

One gardener modified & added mild dish soap: 4 tsp b. soda, 2 Tbsp canola oil, 1 Tbsp dish soap (not detergent) to 2 qts water. This is the one I followed & worked well for me. I followed instructions on the Insecticidal Spray I used to buy.

Earwigs love hiding in the center of young hydrangea leaves, I zap them early in the AM - either they learned to avoid their dangerous, favorite, protective hideaways or I might have eliminated a great many of them!!! Â;)

There are lots on other solutions for garden pest, cute critter & deer problems in those forums as well ... great learning place!

Good luck & happy zapping!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths