Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalala_gw

Best pairings for Annabelle?

Lalala (zone 6b)
10 years ago

What are your favorite pairings with Annabelle? I need ideas to plant in front of an Annabelle in part shade. I'd prefer something that forms a neater mound rather than something very sprawly like geranium rozanne. Flowering plants would be great, but interesting foliage is good too. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.
    10 years ago

Take a look at Dicentra eximia bleeding hearts

• clairabelle
    10 years ago

Hakonechloa variegated grass
    Variegated small-scale hostas
    Perennial geraniums (make a nice mound of flowers and foliage)

• maries1120
    10 years ago

Dwarf Aruncus forms a perfect little mound but wouldn't give you added color it that is what you want.

Hostas - Halcyon is a nice blue with not too big of a mound shape.

Jack Frost Brunnera.

Euphorbia or daylilies might work depending on the amount of sun.

There are also small shrubs that you could use:
    Cool Splash Diervilla has a nice variegated foliage and does OK in shade so would work for partial shade. My Monet Weigela says sun/partial shade but mine (zone 5) seem to do better with sun. Great little shrub though.

• PRO
    Snuggle Mug Co
    10 years ago

I have big leaf ligularia in front of it and like how the leaves look against the Annabelle.

• hyed
    10 years ago

Ruth, Absolutely Beautiful

• Lalala (zone 6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, and Ruth & Firstyear for the beautiful photos. Keep 'em coming if you have more ideas! I'll probably plant in September so I have a while to plan still.

• Lalala (zone 6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ruth, two questions: how much light does your Persicaria get? My site is mostly dappled shade, but there's usually an hour or two of afternoon sun that might be a little harsh for something shade loving. Any thoughts?

And what is the other purplish hydrangea you have?

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

lalala- 'Painter's Palette' is something I have all over the yard, and it will be fine with that much sun. I have it in spots that get several hours of afternoon sun, and have some in almost full sun too. It can get tall, though, but I just trim it if it does. (The cut stems can be "planted" right in the ground. In shade and with some attention to watering, they'll root.)

The purplish hydrangea is Endless Summer. I had some leftover aluminum sulfate and applied it in early spring, but decided to let the soil be what it wants to be unamended. For some reason, the ones on the left are more purple than the ones on the right (which are much more pink than the picture shows).

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

I like hosta 'Great Expectations' in front of Annabelle/Incrediball too. This also has the persicaria in front (which I don't care for next to this hosta)...usually it's more covered in this spot, but after weeks of rain, the Incrediball blooms flopped a little to the left.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida