Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea has lots of flower buds but they do not bloom

Posted by nhbloomer 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 2, 10 at 22:01

I have a hydrangea that has a lot of flower buds but only 1 or 2 of them will actually bloom. The blooms are a lightblue/pale yellow color. The plant gets morning sun and afternoon shade. Any suggestions as to why the buds won't bloom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea has lots of flower buds but they do not bloom

Can you post a picture?

o

What happens to the buds that do not bloom? Do they brown out or disappear (are they getting eaten by some pest)?

o

Sorry I took so long to reply. The buds are not getting eaten, right now there has got to bee at least 50 large flower buds, some of them have a couple of petal open around the edges. I will take a picture when it stops raining. I have had this plant for about 4-5 years, at first I was cutting it down in the fall, then discovered that is why I had no buds, now I don't prune and get lots of buds that won't bloom!!!

o

photos of hydrangea that won't bloom

Here is a link that might be useful: photobucket

o

It looks like you are growing a lacecap hydrangea, and it looks normal to me--although I've never grown a lacecap. One reason I've avoided them is because they do not get those big "mophead" blooms that many gardeners want from their hydrangeas. Were you expecting a mophead bloom? If so, you will have to plant a mophead instead of a lacecap.

I hope I haven't misunderstood your problem, but for a lacecap, your hydrangea is looking pretty good.

Kate

o

Kate is correct, you have a lacecap hydrangea. What you see is all you will get from this hydrangea. Although I think it looks pretty good because I like lacecaps.. I bought some aluminum sulfate at my garden center and added it to my lacecap. The flowers are now very deep dark blue and much more striking than they were before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here