Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhavenrdgarden

Loving Wedding Gown Hydrangea (photos)

greenhavenrdgarden
11 years ago

So I bought several of these on a wim and I have to say they are gorgeous. They've been blooming their heads off for weeks with no sign of slowing down. Love them!

{{gwi:1009153}}

{{gwi:1009154}}

{{gwi:1009155}}

{{gwi:1009156}}

Comments (10)

• dedtired
    11 years ago

They are just lovely. What a nice crisp white they are. I need more hydrangea!

• greenhavenrdgarden
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No problem. I'll take more pics to tomorrow. We had a nasty hail storm that ruined a lot of my flowers but these didn't have a ding in them. I keep looking to dead head but the blooms are lasting SOOOO long. More keep opening on new stems that are growing so I have flowers ontop of flowers. I removed 2 small dead flowers that finally died (turned almost yellow and then brown) but that was it so far out of 7 plants.
    I do have them in dappled sun with very little direct sun. I went back to the Home Depot I bought them in and they have them in full sun. Those plants are now fried and look awful.
    I'm VERY happy with these. No wilting. Not needing much water and it's been high 90's here in CT. They have been virtually care free.

• garyz8bpnw
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

(In PNW zone 7+) Oh my God ... CONSIDER not deadheading the later season flowers! Leave a summer flower set! I made a typical pruning choice to refresh for white flowers for a couple years, before I discovered a secret hiding within this stunning hydrangea.

Yes Wedding Gown has amazing double white flowers, in lacecap form, whose center keeps opening ever smaller florets, forming an stunningly elegant full flattened display. Yes one can cut the Snow White flowers for display use and be rewarded with yet more ... it does not fall into slumber.

I too read about nice fall color and just assumed it was just the leaves. And our late October leaf color is now getting there.

However, make no mistake, the Evil Queen is hiding there too! No written description mentioned that the white flowers turn so deep ruby red in color! I was shocked, but happily ever after.

As the fully opened white flowers, now a couple months old aged, they started to spot pink. I would have normally cut them off to get more white flowers ... hey it reblooms!

Over the next few weeks the spots density increased and darkened until soild stunning deep red florets were formed. The flower heads remained upright for a month display of glory hovering over green leaves, (The flower petals felt dry at this stage and I should have cut some for dry floral arrangements.) Just as the fall leaf color peaked the florets twistwd downwards and lightened into deep magenta and cranberry red colors

While still in a large tub last year I got strong flower production but not much fall leaf color. In a 50% sun location this year and same tub with 3' tall plant the late fall mature leaf color is currently a deep, almost blackish plum red color. The new growth leaves on stem ends are still green, giving a festive mosaic look. I like the effect in this yard location and will plant here.

The secret is out. Wedding Gown is dramatically beautiful in all stages. At a compact ~4' it is highly useful for landscape effects in front of taller bushes. It's like having cranberry bush fall color wonder, which tolerates partial sun, and lavishly provides a white floral display all summer.

I'd buy Wedding Gown for the red fall performance alone. As a grower I could call call it Red (or Drama?) Queen and let buyers be totally shocked by the unexpected white Spring phase. The lable would just say red late season flowers deeping in color with age.

Anybody else lured into missing this dramatic red flower phase?

(Top Photo taken late October with ruby red flowers lightening towards deep magenta and cranberry red tones.)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    7 years ago

I love the name Drama Queen! The reds in the flowers and the complementary deeper reds of the leaves are stunning!

• garyz8bpnw
    6 years ago

Yes most amazingly people only know this plant as a bright white and not dark red.

• hl_60
    6 years ago

Just saw this thread...my goodness...that RED! !!! I HAVE to get Wedding Gown. Been searching for a hydrangea that catches my eye...this is it. Thank you garyz!!!

• garyz8bpnw
    6 years ago

Wedding Gown is only that red the last few weeks before that killing frost. The white phase starts in late June here so a long blooming time. The flowers are dense when red and should dry well. You will go through a few weeks of flower spotting before the color develops.

• hl_60
    6 years ago

Thank you for the info!!

• Alison Laird
    3 years ago

I've just bought wedding gown. I love the white but puzzled as It's started spotting pink on the petals so I'm searching to find out why. I'm now excited to know what will happen to my white blooms.