Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White hydrangea w red pedicels id

Posted by hardytropicalguy z6 SWMI (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 22:57

Two mystery plants in one day? It is a great day to be a horticulturist. i posted a mystery Quercus over on the Trees forum and the gardenwebbers are on it!

So i found this hydrangea I love. It is a little florists hydrangea macrophylla and the tag said Hydrangea macrophylla 'Glory' well there were 2 plants there tagged as glory and only one had the red pedicels. So I grabbed it. i did a bit of google searching and I am not sure if this is a named cultivar? It does not match the description on the soon to be patented 'Glory' , no red pedicels on that cv. Any hydrangea experts here know it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White hydrangea w red pedicels id

Looks to me like "black-stemmed" hydrangea 'Zebra'.

Marketed worldwide under the Black Steel series...

If not that actual breed, you may've just found a naturally occurring mutation.

Now, the reddish color does seem to occur up toward the tops of black stemmed hydrangeas. For example, my black-stemmed 'Zorro' lacecap's new stems have a reddish hue to them.

o

could be... the older wood is very thin but very woody and brown on this particular plant so i will have to see when it grows out if it is black stemmed. i would be happy with black or red! I really liked the white flowers and floret shape and floret size on this one so yay for my grocery store hydrangea find!! :0) it is the first plant purchase for my new white garden.

o

springwood gardens idk if you are still watching but the plant grew out with nice Black stems as you predicted. I think your ID was right on. So I believe this hydrangea to be hydrangea 'Zebra' as you suggested. THANKS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here