Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
echinaceamaniac

Limelight Hydrangea

echinaceamaniac
15 years ago

I got the best deal today. My favorite local nursery had a half price sale. I got a 3 gallon Limelight Hydrangea for 12 dollars! It's about 4 feet tall and has tons of buds to bloom. Could some of you tell me about these plants? I'd like to know how the blooms develop. I've never grown a hydrangea like this. It looks like a small tree! Do the blooms start out green and then change colors? Any info you could provide would be really appreciated. I'd also like to know if any of you propagated these. I want to give it a try!

Comments (15)

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

I'm NO hydrangea expert, but I have propagated the Limelight from cuttings place in a pot of soil with a jar over the top. I grow mine in full blazing sun and have the best luck that way. I had grown them in only morning sun with no blooms. I hope this helps.

Robert

• ostrich
    15 years ago

echinaceamanica, congrats! HALF PRICE SALE already!? I am so very envious! :-)

Now, please show us a pic of your new lovely!

I am in zone 5 and I have my Limelight in full sun. It does very well this way. I understand from the previous posts that in full sun, it develops more flowers but then in partial sun, the blooms' lime color lasts longer. Otherwise, the lime color blooms turn creamy white sooner.

It gets big too! Give it plenty of room :-)

• starina
    15 years ago

Hi, I have at least 6 of these, love them!! They do very well in partial shade as well as full sun. The color is so refreshing on a hot day. They are a tough adaptable plant. Congrats on the great deal.

• ostrich
    15 years ago

starina, I see that you are in zone 6 - I wonder how old your 6 (!!!) Limelights are and how big they are now? Do you prune them back hard every early spring?

• starina
    15 years ago

Hi Ostrich, My Limelights are various ages, I can't remember how old the 1st one is, I bought it when they 1st released them. Some are only a year old. No, I don't prune them at all, in the spring I just snap off last years dried out bloom trusses. My largest is about 6.5 or so feet tall. They bloom very heavily, literally hundreds of blooms at a time. Very good shrub, one of my favorites. While can take more sun than say H. macrophylla, they do very well with just a few hours of sun too.

• echinaceamaniac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is the one I bought for 12 dollars! It's awesome. I didn't get the top of it. Thanks to all of you for your comments.

• starina
    15 years ago

Good deal!!!

• Frankie_in_zone_7
    15 years ago

I love my Limelights but did not realize they would get so big--though I ought to have known. I bought 3 on sale almost 3 yrs ago and they were kind of tall and skinny, so I thought they might keep that "form" , so I placed 3 at intervals in a garden. Wow--they're now really big and tall and wide and crowding other things around them, and it's clear I could have spaced them differently.

I will have to shift some things around this fall. Oh well.

The blooms are just a terrific color for blending with most any flowers AND are a nice form for drying. But do give it room!

• rann948_aol_com
    15 years ago

I inherited a limelight (actually several), but this one is a problem. It was planted in a small planting area next to our pool, and it is just too big. It does have a ton of blooms in full sun, but it also needs watering constantly. I want to move it to a more temperate location. Will I kill it?

• ostrich
    15 years ago

Annee, can you wait until early next spring, when it is just about to come out of dormancy, prune it hard and then move it? That probably is better than moving it now...

It's interesting that you have to water it constantly, because mine is in a full-sun location and it does not need to be watered at all - mind you, it was a 3 gallon plant when I bought it a couple of years ago, so now it is quite well established. How old is your plant?

• solarant
    10 years ago

I am looking for Limelight Hydrangea cuttings so I can try and propagate them. Has any member got any ? if you have can you please email me at rab@zoomtown.com.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    10 years ago

My limelight is 7 years old and 20 feet tall-they get huge!!!

• casagrande
    9 years ago

can they not be pruned to stay around 6 or 7 feet? I don't like shrubs that tall, unless you are trying to hide something. I just bought a limelight and a little lime. I have every intention of keeping limelight pruned to a good height....hope I won't kill it.........

• hc mcdole
    9 years ago

They should be able to take a good pruning like other hydrangeas. I'd rather have the blooms eye level.