Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kris2001

Need a shade loving hydrangea

kris2001
14 years ago

Need a shade loving hydrangea . The area below my deck is shady and gets slanting sunlight just before sunset maybe an hour or less per day.

Heard Annabelle is good.

Pls suggest !

Comments (13)

• kris2001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi

Its shady but brightly reflected light fills in , I have white houses around no trees!
    So what specific kinds do I ask for ?

tks...

• orchidacea
    14 years ago

I've checked with some of my previous clients with situations like yours...the hydrangeas that seem to do best in deep shape are - Fuji Waterfall (a very nice graceful plant with pink blush flowers)...like I said, some of the Halo hydrangeas (not sure they are selling these now)..or you can try some of the Forever and Ever series..I think Endless Summer will have trouble with your spot..If you like that series, would try Blushing Bride instead...BB in my garden and my client's been very robust, tons of blooms and very long lasting...so with more shade, you will have less blooms, but still strong enough for a showing..gun to my head - either fuji waterfall (70% of my preference) vs BB (30%)..

jmho.

• kris2001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, I narrowed my choices to these 3:
    Fuji Waterfall, Blushing Bride , Annabelle.
    Where does Annabelle fall here ...3rd preference?

Also where can I buy these for cheap? Local nurseries have huge ones or none - so pls suggest!!!

• orchidacea
    14 years ago

you can try Annabelle - I have mine under partial sun...this is one hydrangea that's tough as nails..and it blooms on new wood, so no worry about flower buds died during winter or spring...Annabelle has large showy flowerheads...Blushing Bride is one of the most heavy bloomers I have ever grown...it is also in partial sun - 8 am to 11-ish am sun, bright shade for the rest of the day...i know folks have problems with ES to get it being a reliable bloomer, but boy, after I suggest them to get off the pink.blue thing, and have a blush instead with BB - blooms galore...Fuji Waterfall, this is a plant you need some legwork to find...I think HydrangeasPlus.com has it for sale..and I have bot many plant from them before, most excllnt selection and great people, service and price...

you should be able to get Annabelle in any local nursery..
    Blushing Bride seems to be short supply this yr - maybe the launch of Twist-n-Shout is affecting the supply??
    Fuji Waterfall will be the hardest to find...my suggestion is goto HydrangeasPlus.com and see if they have any..you can talk to the folks there about your special condition, maybe they have another variety that can tolerate the shade..HyPl carries a lot of varieties where you can't find anywhere in the local nurseries..

good luck..

• sue36
    14 years ago

I don't think Blushing Bride will do well in shade. I have one that gets some morning sun, midday shade, and then a little more afternoon sun and it's very slow growing and not blooming yet. My MIL has Annabelle in shade and it's spindly and doesn't bloom well. The only hydrangea I have doing ok in shade in Blue Billow, they actually have blooms on them and seem relatively happy, but I think they'd do better with some more sun (they get filtered morning sun and then shade).

• kris2001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Orchid,

I just planted 2 offsets of annabelle with roots below my deck....one of my neighbors gave it to me since his was going bigger!!
    What luck praise the Lord!

Now how do I care for it , I gave it Dr.earth and water , should I keep it wet? Moist ?...
    Thanks

• orchidacea
    14 years ago

Kris..

keep the soil moist, not wet...use your fingers be your guide of watering..since your plant is a division of an existing one, you are in pretty good shape..and with your location, I think the greatest challenge is overwintering...mositure evaporation could be slower in your spot..and if you water too much, your plant will die from root rot...water the plant deep every 4-5 days...water deep = drenching the plant...do that in the morning...never in the evening for your spot - or you will have mold problems...scratch the top 2-3 inches of soil, if they are dusty dry, water, water, water...but if they are soggy wet, don't you ever think about watering...since you have annabelle...this plant is tough as nails for winter...you can leave it alone with all the bear sticks as I always do...then in spring (March for me)...cut the plant practically to the ground...down to about 4-5 inches of sticks left..then the plant will sprout and grow happy for you...my Annabelles begin to bloom in June, last till Aug...let's see how your plants doing in the spot...if they dont do a lot of blooms, you can dig it up and move it around - assuming you have a sunnier spot...the location you have is pretty challenging, hopefully a reliable and heavy bloomer will take some of the hits and still produces blooms...fertilizer, btw, go slow for now with a new plant - I use MiracleGro's QuickStart only...imo, you can wait till next yr to fertilize around the plant..btw - Annabelle grows very quick and can get to quite large...but if you are stumping it like I do every spring, the plant will be a bit more compact at maturity..if they get too big, you may have to find another neighbor to get the offsprings..

• kris2001
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello!
    Other than these 4, is there a newer variety for my shade location?...(thanks)
    Fuji Waterfall,
    Blushing Bride ,
    Annabelle,
    blue billow

• hydrangeasnohio
    11 years ago

I have a Forever & Ever Blue Heaven, Endless Summer Twist n Shout and ES Blushing Bride in extreme shade (1-2 hours of sun) and do great. I also have a FE Summer Lace that gets maybe 4 hours of sun at best and is packed with flowers.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

My Forever & Ever gets NO sun at all and is the best blooming macro I have.
    Go figure.

• kris2001
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok I will try one of them. Issue is mine is under a big deck , gets slanting sun in late evening 1 - 2 hrs thats all.
    So 'deep shade' under trees maybe different than 'deep shade' under a deck !!

Let me try tho...Thanks:)

• hydrangeasnohio
    11 years ago

Well I have many of each in different elements of shade...lol...Was just stating overall situations for many. But I have 2 Blue Heavens with 1 Twist n Shout buried on the North side of my house. Most of the year they never get any direct sun and do great! I have other blue heavens in some direct sun in the Morning and one that gets dappled sun all day. The ones on the North side with no sun do better by far and rarely require additional water. My Deck faces East and have a Twist n Shout Planted under the stairs to block the back side of stairs from the back yard. Maybe gets an hour of sun under there first thing in the morning. I started it from a cutting and grows and blooms like a weed...lol..I stuck it there just messing around & became its permanent home.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County