Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

Cannot decide: need compact hydrangea

miclino
13 years ago

Need help with picking a hydrangea that has compact, tidy appearance and reliable blooms (I assume this means has to bloom on new wood) for a raised bed that is in front of the house and gets morning sun till 2pm. Must be about 3x3. Not particular about color but pink/red would be nice.

Is ES my only choice? How is twist n-shout? i already have an oakleaf, don't want another one.

Comments (13)

• msalcido
    13 years ago

I have a TS and am very happy with it. I currently have it in a pot and it's doing great. Here are a couple of pics.

• joannemb
    13 years ago

What about the other forever and ever's like white out, peppermint, together.... I don't have any but have heard great things about them (and will be getting all 3 as soon as the beds are ready.) They are all 2-3 ft, compact, tidy

• hydrangeasnohio
    13 years ago

Joaanemb is right. Together is my favorite and I have 4 now. Very reliable unique hydrangea. Peppermint is a weaker grower and bloomer for me, but I am still pleased with it so far. White out I do not have, but have only heard positives so far. Although it is new and a little early to be judged.

Also if you are looking for a lacecap that is small and reliable the Starlight in the Let's Dance series is great! I have three of them.

Both the Starlight and the Together handle mid day sun light very well!! Those are the two I would use if I were you!!

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    13 years ago

The citylines are very compact and red or pink but probably not for your zone unles you protect but are very compact--mini penny is low but a sprawler....

• miclino
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think you guys have sold me on this. I'm going to take a look at some FE Together hydrangeas in the nursery. Do they get taller than 2 feet? Thanks guys

• hydrangeasnohio
    13 years ago

Here is the link for the Together & Starlight! The Together in my yard has not got bigger than 2 feet. The Starlight gets wider but about the same height as the Together.

http://www.foreverhydrangea.com/info_together.aspx

http://www.provenwinners.com/plants/detail.cfm?photoID=8925

• blueeskimo
    13 years ago

FE Together is shorter and compact than Endless Summer in my Zone 4-5a garden (but then, I have to cut them almost to the ground each spring because not much alive above the ground).

This is my Together in its 2nd year. This year it's still not much taller (1.5 ft) than that.

My Endless Summer is at least 3-year-old. As you can see it has more open habit than all FE -

• miclino
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I ended up getting an FE original hydrangea. I realized that for the spot I had in mind, the FE together would be too small. Based on how this performs, I will probably get more next year. Thanks for all the advice guys.

At the nursery, the guy claimed that he noted no difference in the performance of the different FE types. He personally preferred red and disagreed with comments that red was a poor performer (atleast thats his opinion). The peppermint and together were listed as smaller whereas FE blue heaven was listed at 4ft height.

I assume I can get this FE to be solid pink using limestone?

• blueeskimo
    13 years ago

miclino,
    FE original hydrangea has NOT done anything for me (zone 4-5a) as well as others in zone 5 and below. It has healthy leaves, hardly any flowers.
    Please read similar threads -
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hydra/msg052153538921.html

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hydra/msg0614061318115.html?10

• hydrangeasnohio
    13 years ago

Blueeskimo what kind of FE do you have?

• miclino
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ah crap. This is why I shouldn't make spur of the moment decisions. I usually research before I buy but didnt this time. Oh well, its already in the ground so it stays. Maybe it will surprise me next year.

However, I decided to comfort myself by making another spur of the moment decision and bought two FE Together. So hopefully one of them will perform next year.

• blueeskimo
    13 years ago

miclino, FE original pink may do just fine in your garden. Please report back next year.

hydrangeasnohio, I've tried every single one of the FE series and finally tossed FE Pink (original) and Double Pink this year (after 3-4 years on the ground). Replaced them with more Together and ES Twist-n-Shout (very impressed with this one as well). Will have to see how's FE Summer Lace doing next year.
    BTW, hydrangeasnohio, how do you like your Let's Dance series? I have Starlight since 2008, it seems to perform as described. But Moonlight did not survive (dead in the pot before I even planted it. It could be my fault on this one.) The flower color were really bla (very pale). How's yours? I wonder if it's worth trying another Moonlight?

• hydrangeasnohio
    13 years ago

Blue Eskimo I have had good luck with the FE Blue Heaven & Original ES Mopheads. So I never have had the need to try another with the Moonlight. But I do have three Starlights and they do great and they are on their third season now. Along with they are already in bloom right behind my Blushing Brides, the first always to bloom with no dieback every year! My Twist n Shouts did great their first winter also. If you do not already have a Blushing Bride, get one! They will do great for you.

I am getting tired of my Double Pink not blooming. I bought a Summer Lace also this year and I have my fingers crossed. I think it's flower edges out my Starlights and the TS takes third place in the flower department for me. But still love all three lacecaps.

The Together is a GREAT HYDRANGEA!!! ES seem all very reliable and FE seems like they might have a couple duds. But FE has a couple of real winners in my yard also!! So I forgive them for the pink ones. If the Summer Lace is a dud I might change my mind...LOL... Although the Double Pink is very dissappointing with it's very unique flower. Not sure why they advertise it blooms on new wood when it seems that it does not. It just gave me enough the first year to have me wanting more every year since! It is in a very good spot. So the most it has is till the end of next year to get it together. Here is a pic of the Summer Lace, Starlight & Together!