Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hblume_gw

Endless Summer Hydrangeas

hblume
16 years ago

Endless Summer Hydrangeas: I put in a total of 26 Endless Summer Hydrangeas, on 3 separate backyards. Some were planted under full sun, others under partial sun and others light shade. The three-year-old plants have not set blossom on new wood  as advertised  nor has the two-year-old plants. The plants are healthy looking specimens but no blossoms for three years. We are in a zone 5  old wood doesnÂt make it thru 90% of our winters. Endless Summer is touted to "bloom consistently on both old and new growth." What has others experienced with Endless Summer? Thanks.

Comments (20)

• novice_dirt_digger
    16 years ago

I too am very disappointed in my 1 ES. The plant is small, and no blooms to be seen. It is in full sun, for about half of the day-it dies back in the winter too. It has one more year to give me some flowers otherwise it's gone! On the other hand I bought a Spreading Beauty that has a ton of blooms this year and it is only the first year in the ground. Made it through the winter easily and only gets morning light...go figure.
    Cindy

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    16 years ago

I replied to the other monster-long thread to which you replied.

In short - BUST! I have one very small bloom on seven plants - ONE BLOOM!!! My plants are three years old, so definitely fall into the established category.

My beef is it is marketed as blooming on old and new wood, therefore, no winter protection needed - and in my gardens ES is not living up to that.

I really want to replace but I just don't have the motivation right now to dig them up, they are nice specimens in terms of size (very lush foliage is nice, I'll admit), and the beds are established perennial beds and I don't feel like trampling everything/making a mess out of that.

My sister mentioned last week that hers is a bust too - no blooms on hers (she only has one, though).

So, if anyone in my neck of the woods asks for a recommendation, I would tell them to pass on ES, get an Annabelle instead - now *there's* a reliable bloomer for you!

• gerry_wyomingpa
    16 years ago

I put two in last fall, one in more shade than sun and one in more sun than shade, both have survived the winter and bloomed. The one in more shade has only three flowers, two small ones and one larger than the average dinner plate. The one in more sun has far more blooms and is bigger, neither compete with the color of Nikko however, but Nikko fails me more often than not, although this year after a mild winter she has quite a few blooms.

This is a picture of the one in more sun, the elongated flower in front is 13" across.

I have heard more bad than good on this hydrangea, but I know I am happy, at least this year.

• blue_velvet_elvis
    16 years ago

I have six ES's in the front of my home. Four of them are glorious.One has small, weak, purple-y blooms and the other is flowerless but big and green and healthy. This is all within a small stretch. No clue why the ones that are happy are happy and the ones who aren't ... aren't. The one with no blooms came from the nursery as a runt with no blooms on it. I think that either he'll catch up next year or he wasn't an ES to begin with.

• hblume
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If your ES plants are the blooming are they blooming on 2 year old plants or older: are they blooming on old or new growth: and what zone are they blooming in.
    Thanks
    HB

• gerry_wyomingpa
    16 years ago

HB,

Mine were planted last fall, so I would say one year old, but plant would be at least three years old I guess. They are flowering on new wood and old, that maybe old wood flowers, but are setting more buds on the new growth. I am in zone 6 in Northeastern PA.

Gerry

• smevd
    16 years ago

I have been having the same problems (no blooms) with my ES that almost all bloomed last summer. I had them protected with leaves, but my husband uncovered them this spring a bit earlier than I wanted him too. I purchased Lime lights and they are not blooming as well this year. My Annabelles and my Spit Fires are amazing though...any other ideas for a sure bet for blooms when it comes to Hydrangeas in my zone (Michigan) Zone 4 - I sure do keep them watered, and they are mostly in part shade.
    thanks in advance
    smvd

• lsimms
    16 years ago

I've had great success with ES and they do rebloom.

It's location, location, location. Basic macrophylla success will be almost guaranteed if they get morning sun and afternoon shade. Plant them on the east side of any structure.

You can't plant ES in full sun. No matter what they say. Been there, done that. Believe me. Don't do it. Plant Annabelle or the short PG's (like Little Lamb)in full sun.

Sorry, but no blooms mean they're in the wrong place because I know them to rebloom and become >5 foot monsters with so many blooms you can't keep up.

• patuxent
    16 years ago

Just found this great forum and joined. I have 5 ES planted on the west side that are in their 4th year. Shaded by trees until mid-afternoon so they droop and recover in the heat and have produced blooms but some more than others. I have acid soid and experimented with them applying lime to bring out the pink. For the most part, this worked well. I did expect to see more bloom on all that new growth, but for the most part only leaves. Looking for another hydrangea for another area and noticed Annabelle was mentioned. This is one that I've been considering as it sounds reliable.

• vignewood
    16 years ago

I planted my ES last July. It bloomed until frost and got quite large. This spring I had 11 blooms form. It is just beautiful. Several of the blooms are now in mid July starting to look tired and new blooms are forming. The only trouble I have is wilting when the sun hits it late afternoon. If I pour one watering pot of water on it before noon it stays perky and beautiful. I think they are very sensitive to location although I have heard people say that theirs thrive in full sun?? Mine would not.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    16 years ago

Mine are in sun about 9 to 3 at the peak of summer. They are blooming great this year, their 3rd or 4th year. I feed them twice a year with organic type Rose food or tomato food and also some Miracle Gro Bloom booster. And a lot of water (due to my sun location). I think each year they will get better. I have some that are a little more stubborn than others so genetics might be in the mix too, but food and water and patience will help.

I have one the same age in a lot of shade and it doesn't bloom well at all. But then again, I tend to not give it the TLC because its out of the way.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    16 years ago

SMEVD: Try PeeGee types for sunny areas, oakleafs for part-shade areas (oakleafs take time to get established but after a few years they're pretty reliable).

• amoc
    16 years ago

I was exactly where you are last year. I had bought my hydrangeas blooming, and for a few years in a row they had leaves but no flowers. They were in full sun and I could not water them easily at that location, they were far from the house. So, last spring I have moved them close to the house, where I can water them. They get shade in the morning, and a bit too much sun in the mid day and afternoon. But they are planted under a young birch that will provide shade in a few years.

Anyway, last year, after spring transplanting, I watered and fed them and they made one bloom between 3 hydrangeas. They were still stressed from the previous year. This year was to be their last. They all died back during winter. I fertilized them with an organic rose food in the spring (same as wendy above - maybe that's key?), and voila! They bloomed incessantly this summer... amazing season they are having! They are still stressed out by too much mid-day and afternoon sun. I water them every afternoon if they wilt. But, they bloomed!

So, my lesson learned is that they need some shade, a lot of water, and fertilizer as well. My soil is sandy, well drained, slightly acidic and poor in nutrients.

You may have to give yours one more year after transplanting to a better location...
    Anda

• margo_2007
    16 years ago

This is the third year for my ES. It is planted on the east side of my home--receiving morning and early afternoon sun, but shade from 2 pm on. The first and second year the plant bloomed quite well, but this year I only have two blooms, smaller in size. The plant itself is very healthy, besides not blooming. It has been quite dry this year, so maybe the plant needed more water to bloom properly. Plus, I don't think I feed it enough. Hopefully more water and nutrients will fix the problem. If not, I will probably need to replace the plant, as it was meant to be a focal point in that area of the garden.

• wayner2000
    16 years ago

Hi, I planted my ES in the early spring, it is blooming however not as much as I expected. I have the Annabelle and it blooms profusely and huge blooms. My ES is pink, next year I would like to make it blue. It receives morning sun and the rest of the day shade. I would really have to give it another year before I can honestly pass judgement. I love hydrangeas, they are my favourites.

Wayne

• jackz411
    16 years ago

I planted 10 ES in May '06. They came in 1.5 gallon pots and I planted then in full sun and this is their 2nd year in the ground. They began blooming in June and I have had non-stop flowers since then and I have plenty of new flowers just beginning to open up so I suspect I'll continue to have blooms through September. I have a dozen or more blooms per plant with more on the way.

They are planted in rich soil and mulched and require no labor. I have only watered them once. I have found ES to be a pleasure and great for my colder zone. Cheerio, JK

• camandtomb_aol_com
    13 years ago

Can they take afternoon sun only? What about all shade?

• HoustonStGarden
    13 years ago

I love hydrangeas, there is just something about their blooms. I have 4 ES right now, 3 are still in the post but I am going to plant them in the ground in a week or so. I am in zone 8a and my house faces west I had them in pots in front by my porch and they got a little mid morning sun and hot late afternoon sun. But I did have to water them every afternoon. I think that was because they were in clay pots and in the ground I may not have to water every day, we will see. I wanted to make sure they would do well in that spot before I planted them. They have done spectacular so this year it is in the ground. I was just wondering if anyone has fed them Garrett Juice? I like them to be blue so I feed them a soil acidifier, from Organic Traditions. It's safer than Aluminum Sulfate. I think the key on their blooming is the right amount of sun, but it depends on what zone you are in. I am in 8a and it can get quite hot. Perhaps in zone 5 full sun would be fine. But I really would like to know what to feed them since I heard they really don't like to be fed much.

• Donna
    13 years ago

I have had Endless Summer for several years now. They will survive alot of sun, but they may leaf scorch and will definitely wilt in the afternoon. They are much happier in dappled shade, especially in the afternoon.

I am so puzzled with them. The first 3 or 4 years I had them, they bloomed repeatedly all summer long. I was so thrilled with them. But the past three years, they blooom beautifully once and only once. I have tried fertilizing with (last year) cottonseed meal and (this year) blood meal and super phosphate. Anybody have any thoughts?