Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bombshell hydrangea

Posted by buttercupia zone4 IA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 2:10

Hi, I have been very interested in the
"Bombshell" Hydrangea. The tag states that it is zone 3 or 4, and is extremely cold hardy, but the temperatures are listed down to -4F and =20C. Does anyone know if these are really hardy in Zone 4 and will bloom next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bombshell hydrangea

It is a paniculata introduction from Ball Horticulture. They claim it is good to -30F:

http://www.ballhort.com/Nursery/plant_info.aspx?phid=034001085023790

Other online nursery vendors either repeated that information or gave estimate to either hardy to Zone 3 or hardy to Zone 4. For example, Better Home and Gardens said Z4:

http://www.bhg.com/garden-store/flowers-plants/shrubs/hydrangea/bombshell-hydrangea.html

It is quite new so not much information is available from consumers who have tried them. But paniculatas in general do well in Zone 4. If you order by mail, be prepared to wait for shipping until either after summer temperatures recede or until Spring 2012 if they sold out.

o

Thanks for your reply. I did buy a couple of them and they did make it through the winter, although it was a very mild one here in Iowa this year. We'll see how well they do this summer!

o

• Posted by marcindy z5b, Indianapolis, I (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 21:50

Buttercupia, how are the Bombshell hydrangeas doing so far? My Lowe's has some, at a pretty steep price, but I am looking for something in their height range to replace this spirea hedge that has been bothering me for almost ten years now. It has to go, and I consider to replace it with a low hedge of Bombshell or Little Lime hydrangeas. Any feedback on how thye look, and what height they have for you would be appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!!

o

Just chiming in that I am IN LOVE with Little Lime. I have 3 and plan on buying many more. They have so many blooms despite 2 of them being very very young plants. Everyone that sees them asks me what they are. Simply stunning.
I haven't seen bombshell yet and I'm interested in that too but I'm not sure if it could be any better than Little Lime.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here