Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
asb vs. es and penny mac

Posted by plant_maniac10000001 6 OH (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 6:18

I'm new to hydrangeas and would like to hear from those of you who've had experience growing these cultivars. All are said to be remontant. However, according to the link provided below, it appears that ES and Penny Mac are the only ones that continue to bloom past July under normal circumstances. Has anyone who has grown ASB experienced any late blooms? I bought four of these from a nursery recently and would appreciate any input on this subject.

Here is a link that might be useful: Study of remontant capabilities of various hydrangea mac.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: asb vs. es and penny mac

It is an interesting study because it shows that others shrubs will sometimes bloom given the proper conditions *sun light, day temperatures, night temperatures, etc).

I do not have ASB but wanted to say that some people here have reported blooms in Nikko Blue during the fall (which the study detected). And contrary to what the study found out, my uncooperative Mme. Emile Mouill�re does not bloom at any time other than Spring. Picky, picky, picky shrub, hu? Hee hee hee!

If you want to find people growing ASB, do a Gardenweb Search in this Forum for "all summer beauty" and review the hits. Then send a Gardenweb email to the people as they may not be checking the forum all the time.

o
RE: asb vs. es and penny mac

Thanks for the response, luis. From the info I could gather thus far, it sounds like certain cultivars that are marketed as "everblooming" tend to only put out one solid flush of blooms once per year, regardless of whether or not they are able to bloom on new wood -- almost as though their natural program is to focus their energy on just one set of blooms per year, whether off of old wood or new. If this is truly the case, they should probably not be marketed as "everblooming" varieties (perhaps they should say "has the tendency to rebloom lightly"). I do realize that one's hardiness zone which dictates the length of the growing season may play a role, but I think I've also read in this forum that folks in zones 5/6 have had blooms coming all summer on ES. Maybe that is a reason why ES and Penny Mac are patented, and some others are not. Anyone else have any observations to add?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here