Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biinaboo

TransplantED hydrangea, question

Kristiina DiOrio
13 years ago

Recently a lady I know was nice enough to let me take some of her massive hydrangea. Per her instruction when I got to her home; I tugged, pulled and used a hatchet to cut roots. I dug out what I could. I got absolutely zero soil. There was no root ball to speak of. I hosed down the roots and brought them to a pre-dug hole. I could only get half of what I received in the ground when I got home because I was given much more than I expected. A pleasant surprise. I put extras into a bucket of water and the others were watered well. I've kept the planted roots watered well daily but life got in the way and I haven't been able to put the bucket plants in the ground. Now, 4 days later, the ground plants look awful and the bucket plants look fantastic. The ground plants are sagging, wilted, pathetic droopy sad things while the bucket plants or tall, stiff, vibrant colored, full leaf and happy. I don't want to plant them!

Please advise, what am I doing wrong and why are these bucket plants so happy (crowded and water logged)?

Comments (4)