Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

1st Year Tickled Pink

whaas_5a
13 years ago

My camera is terrible in the sun, but either way this plant looks very promising for a somewhat 'dwarf' paniculata. I also like that the leaves are more upright vs. floopy.

Began blooming 2 weeks ago. Some are fading to pink while there are a couple shoots with more buds.

{{gwi:1010561}}

Comments (20)

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

A very nice plant, whaas. How long did the white phase of the blooms last for Tickled Pink?

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The pic is from a couple days ago and the first blooms started two weeks ago. There are more blooms on the way so the plant will have white blooms for at least a month.

There is only a touch of pink right now.

• stan6
    13 years ago

I have not found a single source for Tickled Pink. Where can I buy some thru mail or in TN?

• ditas
    13 years ago

Hi Stan - Because it is a 1st Edition from Bailey Nurseries you might want to get in touch w/ them ... to find a distributor in your area. I got mine from 1 of the nurseries carrying Bailey plant intros.

Eventually HD, Lowes & other big box stores will carry this beauty.

Good luck! Â;)

• mehearty
    13 years ago

Did the flowers turn a homely pantyhose colored taupe this August like QuickFire? Or wre they pretty like other hydrangeas?

• ditas
    13 years ago

Hi Merearty - This has been a real bad summer (Jul & Aug) where I am ... many blossoms of different Hs suffered either by getting scorched badly or steam-cooked - between the our nightly storms & daytime mighty sun!!!

I went back to compare pix from previous seasons to all the awful looking ones taken this year ... big, big difference. The brilliance of last year's colors are absent at this same time.

To answer your ? ... more beigey-old rose not yet quite taupey where I am.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have (3) Quickfire in a sunny more dry spot. They turn almost a taupey color.

I have another (3) in a part sun, moist location and the flowers are a deep dusty pink.

The tickled pink is in a part sun, moist location adn the flowers are a deep dusty pink as well.

I try to post an updated pic.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

{{gwi:1010563}}

• ditas
    13 years ago

Hi whaas - Thanx for posting this very lovely TP ... when was this taken? Hopefully mine under f/s will present better color next season!

We went thru some very trying Summer for our garden beauties ... all reacted (except for the well established ones) w/ less than glorious colors compared to previous seasons.

Now that the days have cooled down ... late young blooms are surging on some ... Blushing Bride is the best of them all ... a trooper among the ES clan I have!

Again thanks ... for a peek at what I can look forward to!!! ~Â;)

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! This pic is from today actually.

Its been a fairly humid/hot summer. The frequency of rain was very limited but when it rained it poured.

This little guy is in a southeast exposure with a heavier soil.

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Little late on the post but this was the last one I took in late September.

{{gwi:1010565}}

• ditas
    13 years ago

BEAUTIFUL Whaas!!! Mine didn't even bother impressing at all ~ hoping for a better show this season ahead!!!

Thanks for posting ~ gives me hope & something to look forward to!!!

• outlawheart81_gmail_com
    12 years ago

These pictures are awesome. I bought this Hydrangea this spring on clearance! $4!!! :) one of it's branches were broken, but still green,so i'm rooting that now too! It's just beginning to get new leaves. I'm so happy to see how beautiful these are. i added this to the plant files
    and i would love it if you'd add these images, or give me permission to, with credit to you of course!

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You bet, the images are for the taking!

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anyone else growing this plant? Curious to see how others are performing.

Last year this cultivar was every where and this year its non existent around here.

I since moved Nov 2010 so no idea how this little guy is doing.

• ditas
    11 years ago

My 3rd season just recently showed up some buds ~ the last of the 14 Hpans in my piece of soil, except for the 3babies (1rooted Kyu stem & 2 babes found under Tardiva canopy - this wk showed a few). Perhaps TP was not as often watered as VS also 3rd season, budded ahead.

All Hps will put on show in a couple of weeks ~ only QF is way ahead due to our very early Spring w/ much sunny days!!!

whaas ~ did you mean relocated TP or you guys moved & took her along? I remember you have tons of Hs as well what'd you do w/ your collection? Just curious me (we're in similar zones)!!!

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I left all my plants behind. That was tough but at least the new place is (was) a blank slate! Only a 4' Acer gresium made the trek to the new home.

I've already planted Bombshell (massing), Little Lime (massing), Lime Light, Quick Fire, Little Honey, Pee Wee and Alice at the new home. I have an area that I plan to mass Bobo. If I can find Ruby Slippers in a gallon size I plan to utilize that in a grouping as well. I sure like them Hydrangeas!

The lack of availability made me wonder if Tickled Pink was perhaps a non performer and that I may have gotten lucky with the one I planted.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    10 years ago

Bump... Am researching Tickled Pink... not much around on it. Sad that all the photos in this thread have moved... :-(

WHen I read this:

"I left all my plants behind. That was tough but at least the new place is (was) a blank slate! Only a 4' Acer gresium made the trek to the new home."

I wondered if I was the author!!!! I also moved and left all my plants behind... probably 200-300.. never counted. I, too only took a 4' Acer Griseum!!! (and some perennial divisions).

Weird....

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here they are!

• WendyB 5A/MA
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting that. Can't wait to see mine bloom. The buds are still tight, but there's plenty of 'em.

Didn't you think it was astonishing that we both left behind huge gardens and only took a 4' Acer Griseum?!?!? Who even HAS a 4' Acer Griseum?