Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gumneck

Incrediball and others

I'm only recently into hydrangeas--limelight was my first maybe 5 years ago. I bought it based on recommendations in this forum. I am now hooked. I have at least 25 hydrangeas in my yard, lots of paniculatas because my yard is mainly sunny. I am enjoying this Incrediball (actually there are two of them here and another hydrangea in this clump). These two have been blooming for at least a month. I wonder how long this look will last. The little metal thing in the picture is to hold the plant off the ground. I was planning to move them apart in the fall to give them more room but now am wondering if I should just let them be. The location is mostly sun with some filtered afternoon shade from my neighbor's tree.

Comments (6)

• Rhonda
    10 years ago

Just gorgeous! I just planted my first hydrangeas in Florida a month ago and I'm already hooked and up to 6 ;) I was afraid to plant them here until I put in my new shade garden. Now I'm going to plant some of my favorites from Ohio.

• gumneck 7A Virginia
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am running out of room but still feel like I need more.

• October_Gardens
    10 years ago

Ehh.... The arborescens looks about as good as it's going to get. Just keep doing whatever you're doing! The blooms will turn greenish in about another month, but I don't cut mine off until they start turning brown. Lots of bang for the buck! Otherwise, you might want to move the one paniculata in front of the Incrediball a bit towards its neighbor, but I'm not sure which varieties those are, thus not sure how big they're going to get. The incrediball, though.. It's diameter could eventually reach 20'+ after many years, since it will continue to produce more stems outward from the center each year...

Having a 2000 sq. ft. yard doesn't help in my case. I *think* I'm maxed out at about 80 hydrangeas, but if I put up a shed and/or make a sitting area in the one corner there could be more... I've only been a homeowner for 5 years but the patience is paying off. Between roses, hydrangeas, and hibiscus I have color all season!

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

Looks beautiful! I leave my flowers on all winter and don't remove them until things start greening up in spring.

I think it's a great idea to move the hydrangea that's in front of the Incrediballs, as they'll fill that space and you could probably appreciate the other hydrangea more on its own.

• mylab123
    10 years ago

My two incrediballs are going like gangbusters also.

I cut four or five of gigantic blooms, have a glass full of water to plung them in as soon as I make the cut, then bring them in to where I have a short squat heavy square glass vase filled with clear marbles - then cut the stems to the proper length to the vase and use a lighter flame to the cut end for a good 30 seconds and put them in a short, squat plain heavy glass vase filled with room temp water and place the gorgeous arrangement of white blooms in the center of my dark wood dining room table - the contrast is stunning, I get compliments on them all the time.

I change the water every other day, do a small cut at the stem, hold a flame to the end and those flowers will look good sometimes for a full month or longer!
    Your shrub is looking great!

What a wonderful hydrangea the Incrediball is.

• hyed
    10 years ago

Hi everyone, just joined the forum . Sending a picture of a 3yr old incrediball 2 3yr old inv sp and a 3yr old annebelle still small

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!