Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating Climbing Hydrangea

Posted by greenguy1 z7 Maryland (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 08 at 8:53

My neighbor has offered me cuttings of climbing hydrangea - he is selling the house, so I don't have the option of weighting a stem down with a rock until it roots. Will the holdfast roots that are holding the hydrangea stems to the house (lots of new growth with pliable green/white holdfasts) do the job if I put the cuttings in a glass of water or a pot of growing medium?

Thanks.

- Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating Climbing Hydrangea

If you can go rummage around the plant yourself see if there are branghes close to the ground. These may already have real roots and will transplant easily. I transplanted my own climbing hydrangea this spring and got three potfuls of new young plants from branches that had layered naturally. I am not sure if the upper branches will root as easily but it is worth a try.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 08 at 18:49

Climbing hydrangea, propagation :

"Hydrangea anomala ssp. petiolaris is more difficult to root than h. macrophylla especially after the wood has ripened. Non-flowering shoots of soft wood have root initials along the stem that serve as aerial roots to enable the vine to cling to a vertical support. These shoots should be placed in a well-drained rooting medium and roots will develop at the site of the initials."

o

Thanks, both of you. I will check to see if there are some branches already rooted, and certainly (now) try to root some of the soft branches.

- Steve

o

Of course, already rooted brabches will be good and I'm sure you'll find plenty of them, but just in case you don't here is the method which I used in the past with 100% success.
Find a 12-15" long branch/stem and cut it the way that you'll have some old AND new growth on it. It should be pliable enough to make a loop out of the old wood.
Make a loop from the bottom part of the cutting, but leave at least 6-7" of new wood free. Place the loop at the bottom of container, fill by potting medium, but let 3-4" of the soft wood sticking out. Water and put in full shade.
That's it. In 2-3 weeks it will be rooted.

o

Very interesting. What is the purpose of making a loop?

- Steve

o

To have as many pair of buds as possible buried in the soil.
If you plant cutting straight up number of buds in a soil will be limited by the height of container. By making a loop you'll be increasing number of buds under the soil thus roots will fill the container faster and plant will be ready for open ground sooner.

o

my hydrangea was growing on my wall quite well however, we had a terrible storm and it fell off the wall. It did not split or anything but I don't know it tying it up ( as I have for now) will work as the air roots ripped off the wall and not sure if it will grow new ones on old wood
Hate to have to lose nearly half of the whole plant
any suggestions please

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here