Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen1earthangel

twist and shout good feedback?

karen1earthangel
13 years ago

My nursery got in twist and shout by endless summer

is this one easy to grow and does it really bloom all summer?

it looked very pretty and they got lots in

also still wondering on the blushing bride . DO blooms get large where they weight down the plant?

Comments (6)

• whaas_5a
    13 years ago

It dies back in the winter without protection. Even in a nice little cove next to the house they died back.

So you need to be very patient for them to come back if you don't protect them.

Also plant them in the spring, not now or in the fall.

Lastly they seem to get hints of red on hot days...I don't like that.

I had mine for 2 years and gave them the boot as they were too much work and too sensative like ALL Macs!

If you have the time and right location they can be rewarding plants.

I stick with the paniculatas.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Of any of the Endless Summer series, I consider Twist and Shout the best of the bunch.......but then I'm a sucker for lacecaps :-) It DOES produce plentiful blooms. All summer?? Not sure of that, as any mac hydrangea blooms all summer in my location and in other areas that may not be the case. It is no harder or easier to grow well than any other macrophylla and in cold winter climates (zone 6 or below) should be given winter protection to prevent dying back to the ground, which may result in a much later bloom season or potentially minimal flowering.

• hydrangeasnohio
    13 years ago

Well here is my experience with the two.

Blushing Bride I have two of in very different locations. Both have never died to the ground, even in their first winter. The first one is in almost complete shade and is in it's 4th season. Gets a little evening dappled sun for a couple of hours. Flowers on this one are always 50/50 if they are floppy or not. I just cut the floppy ones off and bring them inside. Seems to help promote more upright ones the remaining part of the year. My second one is in it's 3rd season. It receives alot of sun(6-8 hrs)in the middle of the day but it is mostly dappled. Only a short period of direct. It does very well and rarely even shows signs of wilt. Along with it's flowers are never floppy! The Blushing Bride is always my first hydrangea to bloom in my yard. This hydrangea gets an A+ in my book.

I got two Twist n Shouts last year. They were very small starts and didn't do much last year. This year we had a mild winter and they died to the ground. Although all my Macrophylla hydrangeas except for the BB have died to the ground in their first winter. They came flying out of the ground this year and have over tripled in size. They both have each put off a few flowers. They were close behind my PW Starlights for my third hydrangea blooming in the yard this year. So they seem to bloom on new growth just fine and are very vigorous growers in my book. Seems like it will be a great one also. The red stems and fall color are a nice bonus also! One is planted in early morning sun and the other is in mostly shade with less than an hour of direct evening sun.

• anderson_dc
    13 years ago

So far between the twist n shout and the original ES hydrangeas i have been more impressed with the originals. We will see what next year brings around for them as this is their first year in the ground at my house.

• ditas
    12 years ago

Hello ~ I followed this thread last summer as I had T&S in my wish list for this season ~ lo & behold Mom's Day brought 3 of them loaded w/ buds ~ would have been thrilled w/one!!! Real Est?? I have 1 perfect spot already dug up & saved since last yr & 2 potential choice sites ~ would anyone know the minimum sun exposure requirement for this Beauties?

Would very much appreciate your thoughts!!!