Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vanilla Strawberry leaves

Posted by Sally6340 6a, Southern OH (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 9:58

My Vanilla Strawberry has just started blooming. Is it normal to have so many yellow leaves? Posting a picture. They are mostly interior leaves so may be difficult to see.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vanilla Strawberry leaves

I just checked my Vanilla Strawberry--no yellow leaves at all.

On most plants, yellow leaves can mean too much or too little water. My understanding is that hydrangea like extra water, so I'm guessing that maybe your VS is not getting watered enough, especially if it is in full sun nearly all day like mine is.

Mine gets fairly frequent watering since I have a number of roses planted near it and VS gets the overflow of water from roses--which like lots of water in hot weather also.

Kate

o

Might be too much water combined with enough shade for thr plant to no longer require interior leaves. I just transplanted one and have needed to water it to reestablish. It has since had a few leaves do this. Not a major issue.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 21:42

If too little water the exterior leaves will droop. Since yours look ridge, perhaps too much water but also they just tend to shed some inner leaves. I get that all the time to a very slight degree on all H. paniculata cultivars.

o

If this is newly planted (this season.... and I am willing to bet it is), then this is "normal" ..... It has nothing to do with watering.....
As soon as the flowers start blooming on "newly planted" paniculatas, the roots of these plants can not support the added task of supplying water to the flowers, so they drop some of their leaves.....
I have worked at a nursery for 10+ years and this is a common thing that happens.....Your hydrangea will not do this next year. after it becomes established.....

This post was edited by ians_gardener on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 7:14

o

Thanks everyone for the advice. This is the 2nd year for the Vanilla Strawberry - it did the same thing last year. My Little Limes, 3rd year for them, also get the yellow interior leaves. They all get full day sun, and I just let Mother Nature water them, so could be, I'm not watering enough. Seems like the Little Lime would be established by now, & I've read they are drought resistant. It does make me wonder if this yellowing of leaves may be "normal" for the paniculatas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here