Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerforever

Hydrangea dying?

gardenerforever
12 years ago

I have many hydrangea plants that are all doing extremely well this summer, except for one. It is a macrophylla mophead and has been planted in the same location for about 6 years with no problem. It got really big and has flowered every year. It gets only late afternoon sun and is in the shade the rest of the day. This year it is blooming on one side of the plant and seems to be dying on the other side. Every day I go out and several more of the "branches" have wilted and are drying up. I have cut them off when they do that, so now only about 1/2 of the plant remains. I have watered, and wonder if I may have overwatered?? We had a very wet spring here in NY, but now it is very hot and dry, so I water every couple of days unless we have rain. I have seen chipmunks in that flower bed and wonder if they have anything to do with this problem, or is it a fungus or something. What's left of the plant looks healthy, but tomorrow more branches will probably die. What can you tell me? HELP? Should I dig it up and plant it somewhere else or what should I do?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022