Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
layddi_gw

Pinky Winky

Layddi
12 years ago

Before I dig up my three newly planted PW could anyone let me know if you can keep them around 4 ft by heavy pruning in early spring.

Comments (3)

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

I do not know the answer but I was doing some math while thinking about your question (good question by the way!)....

PW can grow to a height of 6 to 10 feet in ten years. It varies based on many variables, such as climate, length of your growing zone, etc.

Four feet would then be around half to 2/3 that 10 year high growth... but achieved in just one year? Hmmm.

My brain melted but Wow! if it can do that. It is such a nice large shrub with large panicles and leaves!

I too would like to hear if anyone has pruned PW to the ground and then measured how high it got in one year. Ostrich had a PW before he moved but I do not know if he ever pruned it hard. Unprofessional also has/had one too. You could try to send them a Gardenweb email if you wish.

Just wondering, Layddi, why do you ask? Are the three PWs planted too close or something like that?

• Layddi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Luis..Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am new to this forum and find it very informative. I am not sure who Ostrich or Unprofessional is but hopefully he/she will read this and let me know. How do you send them a Gardenweb email?
    I just had a very large landscape job done and purchased limelights and pinky winkys. I just assumed that you could keep them at whatever height/shape you like, like you can do with rhodo's, azealeas etc. I have planted 1 pw and two limelights in a semicircle (with the PW in the middle of them)on the front left side of my house by the driveway. In the middle of them I planted a red bud tree. I want the tree to be the focal point and not have 6-10 ft PW and limelights around it. That is why I would like to keep them around 4 feet at most. I have them in a semi circle at the end of my garden bed, then to the right I have sedums and knock out roses which stay fairly small, so not sure if the PW and LL will be to overpowering with the rest of the bed. From what I have read, it seems easier to control the PW than the LL so I thought I could swap the two LL for two PW I have also planted on the side of my house...your opinion would be much appreciated.....thanks so much!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

If you are going to be swapping plants, why not get all Little Limes. Little Lime is a shorter version of Limelight. It should stay closer to your desired height and therefore won't need such extreme pruning.

Kate