Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I grow beautiful hydrangeas in my climate?

Posted by peachymomo 9b (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 31, 10 at 10:44

I spent six months in Japan a couple years ago and I was amazed by the flowers, especially the hydrangeas. Since I returned to California all the hydrangeas I see look unhappy. I've wanted my own beautiful hydrangeas for years but I'm worried that if I do grow them they won't be happy, and I'll just look at them and think of how much better they looked in Japan.

Should I try it anyway? I have a shady yard with lots of different exposures - morning, afternoon or all-day shade, as well as dappled or full shade. I was thinking I could get a few hydrangeas and pot them and move them around to see which spot they like best. Will hydrangeas tolerate living in a pot for a year or two?

Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I grow beautiful hydrangeas in my climate?

Hydrangeas do quite well in pots, so long as the pots are of suitable size. They will require more frequent watering than if they were in the ground, but otherwise, hydrangeas can be kept in pots for years. My guess is you'll find that dappled shade or morning sun will give you the best results in your zone, but you are likely to see some drooping during the heat of the day regardless of where you put them. You are definitely on the hotter end of their preferred range, but I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to get beautiful results. Good luck!

o
RE: Can I grow beautiful hydrangeas in my climate?

Actually, hydrangeas grow well in coastal SoCal - the Laguna Beach/San Diego area - which is a zone 10 (they also grow beautifully in Tampa, also a zone 10). Shade in the afternoon is a must and provide plenty of water during the hot summer months.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here