Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhavenrdgarden

Same bush different Paniculata flowers? Huh?

greenhavenrdgarden
10 years ago

Last year I bought 2 very small Pinky Winkies from a big box store. They were so small one didn't bloom last year and one had one small bloom. That bloom looked nothing like my other Pinky Winkies. It seemed more like a regular pee gee bloom. Because it had red stems I thought they might had sold me Little Lambs and moved them to a better spot....

This year the shrubs took off and a month ago one shrub started blooming those pee gee type blooms while the other was just budding up. The other shrub IS a Pinky Winky (it's just now blooming) but the first shrub (which has huge pee gee type blooms) now has BOTH pee gee blooms from last month AND Pinky Winky blooms that are just opening now. How could this be? What do I do with this thing. Will it grow odd shaped because of the mismatched blooms? Will it revert back to one kind or another?
Pee Gee bloom

Pinky Winky bloom

Both coming out of the same plant. There's about a 50/50 mix of the two kinds. Pee Gees from a month ago and Pinky Winkies just opening now. The entire shrub has reddish stems.

Comments (9)

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

Small shrubs are known to produce blooms that do not match what they should be producing until they mature. I would not worry too muc if they are still youngsters. But do keep an eye on them to see what do they do.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I hope the mature blooms turn out to be what you want, but just as a precaution, you should know that garden centers are notorious for mixing up hydrangeas and plant tags. After three years of waiting for my very special vanilla strawberry blooms, I'm still getting lovely all-white blooms (with a faint hint of greenish highlight) and my Pinky Winky, bought at the same time but from a different place, is still blooming all white also.

Don't know what that means--but at least the white blooms are attractive.

Good luck.

Kate

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

Yes, "thanks" to Lowes, my "Nikko Blue" Hydrangea produces lacecap blooms! And "thanks" to a local plant nursery, my yellow Lady Banks Rose blooms white. :o))

This post was edited by luis_pr on Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 17:55

• greenhavenrdgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah. These were from Lowes. I'm going to put it in an out of the way place until I figure out which plant it wants to be. I've gotten many tag screw ups. This is the first time I've gotten two different kinds of plants on the same shrub. Oh well :-/

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

If you look close can you tell if one of the bloom types is coming off of new wood from existing branches and the other from branches from the base? As well, can we get a pic of the whole plant?

SCG

• greenhavenrdgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good question. I did not cut this shrub back at all this spring bc it was so young/small. I'm going to check and take a photo of the entire plant when I get home.

• gumneck 7A Virginia
    10 years ago

Earlier this month I bought a hydrangea from Lowes that had two different plants in the same pot. It was obvious from the blooms that there were two plants. I repotted them into separate pots.

• greenhavenrdgarden
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a pic. Mine is from lowes also. I'm thinking maybe they put two seperate rooted cuttings in the pot. I can't see anywhere to divide the plant at the bottom though.

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

Hard to tell from those photos, sorry. Question still remains if they are coming off new growth on old canes or new growth from the roots or a combination? That will tell us a lot.

SCG

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting