Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

Purple discoloration of leaves

Laurel Zito
11 years ago

I am having problem on an unknown macrophallya hydrangea.The photo I have is not that good, but the problem will come and go. Sometimes the leaves turn purple then grow green, as you can see older leaves are purple, newer ones green. What is the problem? I don't have mildew.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of leaves

Comments (11)

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

Looks like Preziosa to me. This is the pigmentation of the plant. It is one of the few that behave like this, and is highly desirable because of its interesting colors. The bottom line is that there is nothing wrong with it at all! It should grow to 5x5' and flower readily where you are. If you still don't like the color, the leaves are less likely to turn purple in shade than in sun. Otherwise you could sell or give it away, someone would gladly take it off your hands.

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

Haha, now that I re-read my reply, it sounds confusing.

Preziosa a.k.a. Pink Beauty is the name of your plant, not a condition or disease.

Once again there aren't too many hydrangeas that behave the way Preziosa does, so I'd be surprised if it were a different cultivar.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    11 years ago

That is Preziosa reaction to sunlght-to much and it gets that way-as long as it does not brown you should be ok-it is a very desirable cultivar

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, I thought it was a bad thing like a fungal, but I like it if it not a disease. I posted it when I got it, years ago, but no one IDed it. So, it is called Pink Beauty? The flowers would not stand up, so I thought it was a weeping habit, but now they do stand up. But, the leaves were green back then.

Here is a link that might be useful: No one IDed it years ago, it looked like this

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the lighter pink flowers it had, but now the flowers are too dark pink. I had an endless summer also and the color was not satisfactory most of the time, it was also too dark. Does acid deepen the color, my soil and water are alkaline.
    I add compost. Is it too much calcium that is changing the color? The flowers begin darker then when it was in a pot now that is in the ground. I think something in my soil is making them too dark. But, now it's too big to keep in a pot anymore.

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

Looking at your old pic, 100% Preziosa! It has come a long way since then and looks good.

Nope to all of your questions - the color is just the nature of the beast. The flowers start off almost whitish pink and fade to almost red. It will do this almost no matter what. You can't really change the tones and can't shift the color to blue. However, if the plant blooms through a one month period or so, you may see multiple shades of pink/red at once due to the blooms aging at different rates.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't want them to go to the blue, but a lighter pink. Mine start out green and go to dark pink and skip light pink. It would be very hard for me to grow blue flowers in my alkaline soil and alkaline water. I got it at Flowercraft in case anyone wants one. They two and they were unmarked. The fact that it lived was a miracle, it got mildew. It took years to work out to stage it is in now.

Here is a link that might be useful: flowercraft

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They go green to dark pink with going into light pink. Once one flower did the right thing, but only once. I must put something in the soil that is messing them up. That green thing is a compost cone. Look at the progression.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green to dark pink

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

'Pink Beauty' is an invalid name - the correct cultivar name IS 'Preziosa' (and there is only one cultivar name). One of this plant's features is its range of coloring. It IS sensitive to pH and the aluminum that gives some macs blue flowers, although with Preziosa, that 'blue' is really a pale lavender.

There is no "right thing" with regards to flowering coloring - the plant is just responding to a variety of variables, one of which is the variability of its coloring. And interpretation of colors is very subjective - what one viewer may perceive as light pink is lavender to another. Ditto with the blues/purples amd pnks/reds. FWIW, the second bloom from the top in your photo looks light pink to me. We also need to remember that plants are living organisms and don't necessarily bend to our wishes - they are what they are :-)

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It does look light pink, but that is the color of the camera, so it's not what the eye sees. So, it would be lavender if the soil was acid?

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just took this today. It could be that ph does control the shade of pink. I used sulfur to try to lower the ph. My alkaline water is making the pretty light pink flowers that it had when I bought it very dark red flower and not so pretty. I don't know if this trend will last.

Here is a link that might be useful: light pink flower