Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sick hydrangea

Posted by Hemley UK (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 11:04

I don't know what variety my hydrangea is but it has full white circular blooms. This year it is flowering well, as usual, but is looking a bit tall and spindly, even the flowers look a little less lush and the leaves are going a bit yellow in shade. Do you know what it needs to go back to full health?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sick hydrangea

I would check the soil pH to see if it is too high and amend the soil if the test confirms it. I would also check to make sure that it is not getting too much moisture and a soil test to see if the levels of nitrogen are too low or high. Plant nurseries should sell soil testing kits to do check the pH and NPK. The shrub seems to be a Hydrangea arborecens like Annabelle.

o

Health looks normal for an Annabelle. The more shade the brighter the leaves. They aren't native to the UK so might not like the maritime climates per se.

o

Thank you both for your answers. You may be right Springwood_Gardens about it being normal, but it has looked better the last couple of years. We will buy some soil tests to check your theory Luis_Pr.
Thanks again, Hemley

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here