Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krns_gw

Pee Gee Hydrangeas

krns
14 years ago

Last year I planted 2 Pee Gee Hydrangeas in my backyard. They were gorgeous and in full bloom when planted. The plants are very healthy, but have not bloomed so far this year. I understand it may be August before they produce blooms, but should I not be seeing some signs of blooms forming now (July 16)? Maybe I am getting over anxious because they looked so wonderful last year.

Comments (3)

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

Paniculatas can start as early as some time in June and as laste as late July or even August. It depends on the weather, the variety and other factors. I have not noticed any one posting about Pee Gee yet so I advise just waiting. Last year's bloomage probably was affected by the nurseries applying whatever they had to in order to make them bloom early.

Here are a few general suggestions for the future:

* prune (only if you have to) after blooming or in the Fall (when the plant goes dormant, the leaves dry out and you can see where the various stems/branches are

* do not use fertilizer high in nitrogen

* keep lawn fertilizer away from the hydrangeas too (it is high in nitrogen)

* stop all fertilizers in July-August

* water during winter if it is dry and the ground does not freeze

* watch out for locals pests that like to eat the blooms (squirrels, deer, rabbits, etc)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    14 years ago

Mine just started to form buds about a week ago, they're only about the length of fingernail at this point. It's most definitely going to be mid-August before the show starts.

• thujane
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I just planted a 4' Pee Gee. I should have read this first, but used miracle grow garden soil with nitrogen. Will it survive and what shoud I do now?

From SpringHill nursery:
    Reviewed By: Arlene (Chicago, Il)
    My tree is about 12 years old & it is beautiful! When I'm out side people driving by stop & ask me what kind of tree it is & where I got it all the time. It is about 12'high by 10' wide'. The tree requires lots of water & magnesium sulfate to keep the flowers white (I have to add this monthly). I live in the Chicago area & my tree has gone through some harsh winters & lost some branches, but new ones always sprout out & will grow 2' or more in 1yr.:

Should I use Magnesium sulfate, epsom salt, lime?

The GGs I planted last year did outstanding, and I was hoping for something different and fast growing.
    Thanks

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County