Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ann_in_houston

Like a fool, I picked up a Fuji Waterfall (I think)

Ann_in_Houston
15 years ago

I saw one at the grocery store and the price wasn't bad. It was labeled "Shooting Star". When I looked it up, I found out that Fuji Waterfall is also referred to as Shooting Star. It has white sterile flowers with blue centers - that's what I find so charming,and the fertile, middle ones are blue. If anyone here has this variety, I'd appreciate verification of the description. I say I'm a fool because it's so hot here. I think the ones from Japan are especially sensitive to the heat. I plan on potting it so I can experiment with exposures and control its stress. I already have some success with a few varieties. I have a Lady in Red, two Endless Summers (one rehabilitated and one in the process)and a mystery lacecap, also rehabbing from the clearance table. I have a Bluebird lacecap that isn't blooming this year, but it has bloomed in past years and I don't see why it won't, next year. Also in a container, I have a tricolor lacecap. I have had two of those die, but believe it or not, it has been the winters that did those in, so with it being in a pot, I can shelter it better. I ordered a climber (Mexican hydrangea, Semanii)which should do fine in this area since it is in the shade of the tree it will climb. I'm excited about it because it is evergreen and that is something I really prize. It's a baby, but it should be worth the wait. I've been aching for a Dardom, or White Dome and I finally got one of those. I just hope it grows and blooms to its potential. I had to try it. I am hoping also for good results from two others I ordered because, again, I just had to try them. They are Blaumaise and Rotdrossel. You'll just have to look them up. I don't have any blooms on those yet, so we'll see, for next year. They're both in pots, as well. Actually, the only ones in the ground are the two Endless Summers. They are also the only mopheads I have. I just love the lacecaps so much. I really didn't realize how many of these plants have, that I'm not supposed to be able to grow. They don't bloom as profusely as the pictures, but I think that is a case of learning how to manage the fertilizer. I expect to learn more about that. If they'll just stay alive, I can work on my expertise with them until I get the best results I can.

Comments (9)

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Shooting Star is not the same plant as Fuji Waterfall.
    Shooting Star is a Hydrangea macrophylla (Big-leaf) and is most likely a renaming of H. mac 'Hanabi' (Fireworks) and is sometimes listed as 'Sumida no Hanabi' (Fireworks of Sumida), developed as an indoor, potted plant for the Florist market.
    'Fuji Waterfall' is a H. serrata (Mountain Hydrangea, small leaf) and is said to be the same as the Japanese cultivar, 'Fuji no taki', which means "Waterfall of Fuji"

The confusion developed when a nursery began distributing 'Hanabi' with the 'Fuji Waterfall' label, whether knowingly or unknowingly and since the florets of the two are similar, no one questioned the name. A group of visiting Japanese Horticulturists, visiting a nursery in NJ, pointed out the error, but it appears no one cares and I suppose they are still being sold with the incorrect name attached.
    Since the fertile flower colors of both, H.macrophylla and H.serrata, are pH sensitive, you will need to maintain the current acidity level of your potted plants, to retain the blue color. A small amount of Aluminum sulphate, applied 2 or 3 times each year should suffice. but be careful not to apply too much. Fertilizers containing a small amount of Sulphur can also maintain the correct pH.
    One of our daughters gardens in Zone 9 and she has had very good success with Hydrangeas. But living only a few hundred yards from the Atlantic Ocean, she rarely has temperatures that exceed the 100°F mark, but 90°+ temperatures are quite common. All of her Hydrangeas are grown in full shade.
    Good gardening!
    Rb

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rb,
    Interesting. One of the nurseries stated that Fuji Waterfall had been reclassified as a macrophylla. I know that doesn't make it so, but I thought it was interesting.

Ego45,
    Hmmm. Well, I tried to get that info, even posted here, before I bought it. All the published info I found said it should be okay. It is in what I would call bright shade. I know it isn't showy like the very white lacecaps are but I like the way the flowers follow the roundness of the bush in the pictures I have seen. It's like they echo the form of the bush. It has an old world charm, to me. Wish me luck with it. It's already in the ground.

• ego45
    15 years ago

ann,
    good wording, it is indeed have some 'old world charm' in it. I would also say, 'very naturaly looking woodlander'.
    Good luck to you.
    For the reference: mine in its 3rd year about 4x4' shrub already. It was planted as a 2G pot.

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Ann.....
    Some of us, who could qualify as Hydrangea "nuts", aren't in the business of purveying the product, where every buck counts and ignorance is bliss and as collectors, we want the most correct information available about our pride and joys!

Hydrangea serrata 'Fuji Waterfall' is a Registered Cultivar, having been registered with the International Registration for Cultivar Names for Hydrangea at the Institut National d'Horticulture, France on December 27, 2001 in the name of Dan Heims, Terra Nova Nurseries, Canby, OR by Janet Egger.

That fact does not clear up any misapplied name confusion in the trade and never will. Shame!
    Rb

• Ann_in_Houston
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, if Shooting Star is a mac, then maybe I'm in better shape than if I had gotten a Fuji Waterfall. I don't remember why I am under the impression that serratas aren't for me, but I have always been. I just hope it doesn't demand to be indoors. I have no window lighting to satisfy it.

• joanrderosa_gmail_com
    12 years ago

A few years later I can report on my Fuji Waterfall, bought several years ago from White Flower Farm. It has been on a journey from one part of the yard to another, displaced for a variety of reasons and consequently showing very little promise. Three years ago I moved it to a spot where it gets some sun but is protected from the late day sun, and is regularly watered by the sprinkler system new to our property. Last summer it had a few blooms and looked ok, but this year, after bountiful snowfall It is gorgeous, covered with those cascading shooting stars in a blue-white with faint mauve at its heart. Truly worth the wait. I did read they need constant moisture. Given that, wouldn't they do well in the shade in Texas?

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

As long as you can maintain the top soil moist, well mulched (3-4" inches past the drip zone) and as long as you use well draining soil, you may have a chance on good year. But on a year like this one -when almost the whole state is under an exceptional drought- you will have some leaf, stem and flower bud loss.

For hydrangeas that bloom on old wood in Texas, I expect the Spring 2012 bloomage to be small since flower buds are one of the first things that all plants abort when water stressed. And hydrangeas develop them around mid-July thru August in Texas. That is right smack in the middle of the hottest months of the year.

I also suggest a location that is not windy since wind drains moisture from the leaves during July/August. Or plan to block the wind with something. Sun-wise, I would choose a location that provides shade starting around 11am.

Luis

• JackMezzell
    9 years ago

I have a used waterfall that I got from a nieghbor when he moved from his house. It works great and is in great condition. I saw your ad and thought that you might be interested in buying it from me. If you are interested you can reach me at texashunter00@yahoo.com I will send you some pictures and the deminsion in the email.