Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hydrangeas color changing

Posted by lseverns 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 9, 10 at 11:20

I purchased a blue endless summer hydrangea last year and had the most beautiful blue flowers. During the season last year it started to bloom pink flowers. I purchased alum. sulfate and added 1T with a gallon of water this year in the spring and 1T with water in July. I have two blooms that are starting which are now pink. How often and how much should I added alum. sulfate to change it to blue?
Thanks,
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hydrangeas color changing

I would look at the directions on the package to see how frequently they recommend you reapply. I would also consider purchasing a soil pH Kit that gives the results in a numeric scale so you can better monitor the pH Levels. If the package does not give good directions, you can try applying it monthly (while the ground is not frozen) and write down the soil pH Kit's results down in a wall calendar so you can monitor your progress.

o

After some trial and error I had good luck keeping my endless summers blue. One bush I planted in a giant plastic pot that I buried (the bottom was cut out of the pot) this way I could change the the ph without affecting anything else.
The other I initially had the same problems you are having so I just mixed a lot of the alum sulfate in the ground around the root ball I must have put at least 1/2 cup if not more. This worked great and doesn't seem to bother the plants around it. From what I've heard it is fairly difficult to change the ph of soil so I figured I would use more than the amount on the pkg and its worked great for me.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 11:01

Tricia, you may have been lucky. Using more than the recommended amount of a product is rarely a good idea...better to become fond of pink flowers when you prefer blue than to kill your shrubs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous thread, too much aluminum sulfate

o

it is funny how we all want blue flowers and pink is so pretty too:):)
I love blue too but I sort of let it do its own thing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here