Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerme_gw

cuttings?

gardenerme
13 years ago

Sorry in advance if this is not a PC question or OT. I noticed there is no exchange on this forum and wondered if anyone ever discussed passing on cuttings? I had to leave my former garden and really miss my beautiful hydrangeas with no funds to replace them. I would pay postage no problem.

Is there a way to do this politely on this forum? Again, apologies if I am committing a faux pas!

Comments (6)

• msalcido
    13 years ago

Hi gardenerme - I do not think it is inappropriate at all. I would love to trade cuttings with others. I'm not sure how we would ship them though.

Anyone else have any thoughts on how to do so?

• techiegardener
    13 years ago

I have found that to get cuttings to root successfully they need to be planted within minutes. So I'm not sure that they can be mailed and still remain viable.

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

In my experience I have found that cuttings left in water for several weeks will still root! Last year, before I knew how I was going to root them, I had several cups filled with cuttings on a coffee table so long that my husband said are you EVER going to do something with those cuttings? They all rooted, every one of them!

I think the real problem might be in mailing them. Especially in this hot weather, if they sit in a hot truck somewhere I'm afraid they would perish. They would have to be mailed the fastest most expensive way, and I don't know if just wrapping them in wet paper towels would be sufficient. I guess we won't know until we try! Has anyone successfully mailed hydrangea cutting before? We mail rhododendron cutting all the time, but they are much sturdier.

Donna

• msalcido
    13 years ago

Found this "how to" steps -

Step 1
    Line a cardboard box with a plastic bag or plastic wrap. Add a layer of Bubble Wrap, packing peanuts or other cushioning material.

Step 2
    Use a sharp knife or scissors to make a clean, sharp cut of a section of the plant.

Step 3
    Wrap the end of the stem in a wet paper towel. Cover the towel with plastic wrap and secure it with a rubber band.

Step 4
    Insert the whole cutting into a plastic bag and place it in the box. Arrange crumpled paper around the cutting. Seal the box with packing tape and apply an address label.

Step 5
    Mail the package first class or priority mail.

Seems simple enough. I was thinking maybe even include some of the potting/rooting media with the cutting. I agree with Donna, I think it would have to be when the temps get cooler. Maybe the beginning of September. I'm willing to give it a go.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mail Cuttings

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Thanks for the information!! Now all we have to do is wait for it to cool off, no signs of that up here yet, we had another 5/8" of glorious rain last night, the hottest, muggiest summer I can ever remember, and I can remember quite a lot of summers!! I feel like I've moved 3 states further south!! Don't know how you guys can stand it!!

Donna

• msalcido
    13 years ago

OMG Donna. I know the feeling. We had rain for the past two weeks, and it was hot and muggy the whole time. Now we have beautiful sunshine but with temps way in 90's. UGGH. I guess we are never happy. LOL.