Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsroc

Growing Snow Storm Hydrangea?

lindsroc
9 years ago

Hello all,
I have never grown hydrangea and just purchased my 1st one yesterday. There was no tag with info on it, but on the price scanner tag it shows "Hydrangea Snow Storm"... I am wondering what sort of conditions would be best for this plant? Sun, shade, water etc? Any help would be great. Thank you!

Comments (9)

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

Haha. I just found one of these yesterday also. Home Depot? Some pots were mislabeled and none of them had flowers. I'm fairly sure mine is the right one because Snow Storm has light green leaves that are elongated and very light colored waxy stems.

Anyhow, this plant has been hard to find for most. I looked for it for 3 years until yesterday. It was introduced by a Japanese breeder in 2007, and was an asexual pollenation of an unnamed parent. It's said to flower early and repeat bloom. Not sure about blooming on new wood. It's Hardy to 5B and grows up to 4x4'. It's also claimed to be sun-tolerant (resistant to sun scorch) which is rare for white-flowering H. macrophyllas. So, I'm going to plant mine in fairly direct sunlight and hope for the best.

For more info, patent search 'White King' on Google. It's most similar to Emille Mouillere, but has smaller leaf internodes. Not sure if the blooms are pH sensitive.

• lindsroc
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! Yes, HD. They had a bunch of Hydrangea but i like the light green color of the leaves on this one. Do you think it would do well in shade? I can plant it either in full sun, full shade, or 1/2 and 1/2... but I dont have any filtered or indirect sun areas for it.
    Thank you for the info!!!

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

I'd recommend half and half for the northeast. Water every few days if no rain, and then go down to once week if no rain next season.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

because Snow Storm has light green leaves that are elongated and very light colored waxy stems.

Really? All the literature typically states pure white flowers against dark green foliage. As are the ones here at my nursery.

This is one of the 'Next Generation' series introduced by Ball Horticulture and like the 'Endless Summer' series, reputed to bloom on both old and new wood -- that's the 'repeat' bloom part of the equation :-)) And like any mac, will do fine in shade. It is a compact plant so well-suited to container growing as well.

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

Light conditions could have a lot to do with the leaf color. Most companies review theirs based on greenhouse conditions, which would lend a darker color. I suspect mine was grown in a hydrangea field, which would lend to a lighter color. The patent claims a topside of 138A, which I guess is a standard leaf color in the plant world.

The one I got has no blooms, but the leaves look like the following photo:

A key trait is also sparse lenticel (a.k.a. dark spots) coverage on current year's growth.

• starlight99
    9 years ago

Are the leaves on this hydranges glossy or has a bit more shine on them? I have one that looks very similar to this and have been trying to ID it....thx.

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

There is very minimal gloss on these.

The only white-flowering hydrangea with high gloss leaves is the double-flowering 'Peace'.

Edit: I found one scrawny looking one at a local nursery, and the blooms had aged to the point of sun-scorch. There was no pink or blue tint, so thus far I can conclude that the plant would bloom pure white only and not be pH sensitive.

This post was edited by Springwood_Gardens on Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 8:59

• starlight99
    9 years ago

Does this one look like Snow Storm? The leaves are lighter green with a bit more shine on them but the flower is not double. It seems to be less hardy (without protection) in zone 5 than my Endless Summer. Any help would be great!

• October_Gardens
    9 years ago

Do the petals have green streaks on them? I'm seeing a bit of green. Could be dealing with Queen Of Pearls. An introduction from the early 2000s by Dr. Mike Dirr, now sold commercially under the Gardener's Confidence series.