Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandykk_gw

Forever and Forever

sandykk
18 years ago

Had this waiting for me in my inbox this morning. Wondering if anyone has seen or has one of these?? Wasn't sure if I was allowed to post website or not, so I just posted the info for it.

Sandy

P.S. Picture is beautiful. I'm thinking about going up to pick up one.

Hydrangea 'Forever & Ever'

Are you a Plant Pioneer?

We are pleased to announce a new "ever-blooming" hydrangea, not yet officially introduced - 'Forever & Ever.' Developed in Holland, 'Forever & Ever' is making its way into the US for the first time. We have not thoroughly tested it, but 'Forever & Ever' is so outstanding we just couldn't wait to share it with you. If you are a plant pioneer and want to try something that no one else has - this is it! If you already have Endless Summer and room in your garden for another hydrangea, this is the one to try; 'Forever & Ever' is sufficiently different from Endless Summer.

Forever & Ever -- New Repeat-Blooming "Mop Head" with Great Potential

Hydrangea 'Forever & Ever' appears to have all of the qualities of the Endless Summer Hydrangea that gardeners have fallen in love with. It blooms repeatedly on both old and new wood, ensuring that your hydrangea will be covered in beautiful blooms throughout the season - and it has proven reliably winter hardy to Zone 4 (minus 30 degrees); tested in Michigan. As with almost all other macrophylla hydrangeas, the color of the blooms is affected by the acidity of the soil. From what we have seen and heard, 'Forever & Ever' has many qualities that quite possibly may make it superior to Endless Summer (if that is possible!), including:

Larger blossom clusters.

Larger individual florets with frilled petal edges.

Often both blue and pink blooms appear on the same plant; sometimes even one flower can have both colors.

More compact growth habit by about a foot all the way around.

Waxy, leathery leaves.

Comments (7)

• tmac96
    18 years ago

I have a post down below about this very hydrangea. I and a few others on this board found this plant at our local Lowe's earlier in the summer. I LOVE this plant and hope it is everything that it says. Let me run outside and take some quick pics for you...

• tmac96
    18 years ago

Okay, first let me warn you...I have this plant in a pot that is sitting at the front of my house. It is sitting on nothing but rocks and dirt because we do not yet have a lawn. (Our new house just got finished being built a month or so ago.) So anyway, when looking at the pics, focus on the plant, not my hideous lack of a lawn! :-)

Here is a pic of the first bloom as it was beginning to open. One of my favorite pics!

{{gwi:1011729}}

Here it is super upclose, because I like taking pics like that!

{{gwi:1011730}}

Another ridiculous closeup...

{{gwi:1011731}}

Now, here is the same bloom about 2 weeks later...

{{gwi:1011732}}

Here is the second and only other bloom right now. Notice it is more vibrant pink.

{{gwi:1011733}}

Here is the whole plant to give you a better idea...

{{gwi:1011734}}

Notice that the two flowers have a different color. The first bloom has both pink and purple in it. I guess that supports the claim that it can have different color blooms on the same plant and even the same flower head. Here is what else I've noticed about it so far:

1. It has very think stems which support the blooms even after heavy rains (unlike my ES!)

2. The leaves are dark green, deeply serreated, and large!

3. When in bloom, my ES doesn't put much energy into growing "new wood". Not until I deadhead does the foliage start to grow again. Not with Forever and Ever! The "new wood" seems to continually grow no matter what.

4. Holds up fairly well in heat. My ES wilted and slumped every afternoon in the heat. My Forever and Ever only did once, and that was in 95 degree heat!

I have had my ES for 2 years now. This is only my first year with Forever and Ever. So far though, my Forever and Ever FAR exceeds my ES. Then again, that is just my experience. I am starting to question the health of my ES anyway, so maybe that's it. Anyhow, the only thing I have yet to see is (a) whether or not it truly does bloom on new wood and (b) whether or not it really can withstand a zone 5 winter with no protection (once I do plant in ground that is). If it does, this plant is a SURE WINNER!

• sandykk
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow, thanks for all the info. Beautiful pictues. I did go and pick one up today. Nice and healthy looking, but small, 4 stalks on this one. Some were just beginning to get a little bloom on them. What I don't understand is how Lowes could have this plant for a while now and this nursery make the claim "not yet officially introduced". I too thought I had seen a similar name at Lowes earlier this year or last, not sure. Oh well. Thanks for the review.

• ostrich
    18 years ago

tmac96, thank you so much for the great information and picture! I just posted in the other thread you mentioned above and then I saw this - thanks! Now you make me want to rush to Lowe's and get one myself too! LOL!

• Brent_In_NoVA
    18 years ago

Is Hydrangea 'Forever & Ever' patented like 'Endless Summer'?

- Brent

• lsimms
    18 years ago

wow, wow, wow. I gotta get me some of that!

• frank_10b
    15 years ago

Has this been as winter hardy for winter like it claims to be?