Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
innominata

Teller's Blue pics from my garden

innominata
18 years ago

I wanted to share with the forum pictures I've taken recently of my Teller's Blue Hydrangea. It has become one of my favorite plants. Please enjoy.

{{gwi:1011741}}

{{gwi:1011743}}

Comments (25)

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

Would like to enjoy but unfortunately can't see them!! Try again.....yg

• innominata
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Here goes a second try:
    Can you see them now?

{{gwi:1011744}}

{{gwi:1011745}}

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

Nope....

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    18 years ago

Nope, I can't see them either. And I could a hydrangea fix today :b

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

it appears that you have tried to link them to your yahoo mail account. you will need to get another site to host your pictures and make the account public for us to view them here.
    i use photobucket. it's free.
    once you load your pictures there, copy the "tag" of the image and paste it into the body of text in your post.

• innominata
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry everyone! I'll try again. Here goes:

{{gwi:1011746}}

{{gwi:1011747}}

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

Hey hey!!! Worth the wait...they look happy, healthy and beautiful. Thanks for sharing....yg

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

beautiful colors! you could call it 'teller's violet'. ;-)

• hayseedman
    18 years ago

Very pretty. Thanks for posting them.

Teller's Blue is the same plant as 'Blaumeise' and it's one of my favorites, too. Here is some comments about Teller Blue (Blaumeise) that I had posted before.

The "Encyclopedia of Hydrangeas" has this to say

A strong growing shrub up to five feet or more. On acid soils with low aluminum this plant is brillantly pink, later turning to a dirty mix of pink and blue; however, when it is well fed with aluminum sulphate, it is one of the best blue lacecaps.

And Dirr's "Hydrangeas for American Gardens" says that

...the Teller Series(with bird names like 'Blaumeise')...They were all lacecaps, bred for potplant suse, but are common in gardens. A wild white lacecap was crossed with the red mophead, 'Todi' to prodce the 26 cultivars. ...'Teller Blue' ('Blaumeise') is conidered the hardiest by most hydrangea experts ....Unfortunately they are mildew susecptible.

Here's a couple of pictures I have on Photobucket.

{{gwi:1011739}}

{{gwi:1011740}}

Thanks. Hay.
    Hay.

• Rayven
    18 years ago

absolutely gorgeous. Wish I had some. been trying to find someone with a blue hrdrangea so send me a start. YOurs are very lovely, GOod job

• jleek
    18 years ago

Yes, thank you for taking the time to be able to finally post pictures. Where did you find this plant. I have a whole area that I wish to do in hyderangers that I think would be lovely from the street.

• Bonbon_N_KS
    18 years ago

Rayvan, I was in Oregon last month, hydrangea's are so much prettier there than in KS, guess it's our heat. We stopped in Scappose and I took sooo many pictures.

One of the (if not THE) most beautiful states. Coasts, mountains, valleys, just gorgeous. (I'm going back next year)

• yellowgirl
    18 years ago

Holy mackeral Bonbon!!!....Keep 'em comin'.......yg

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

i can't see the flowers for looking at the soil in that photo, bonbon! ;-)
    that looks like what i wish i had to work with.

• Molineux
    17 years ago

Gorgous pics innominata. I was especially happy to learn that Blaumeise (Teller's Blue) was hardy in your zone 6a garden. Do you provide any sort of winter protection or do you grow the shrub au natural?

• ego45
    16 years ago

Reviving this old thread for the practical reason.
    I just got a bunch of them (Teller's Blue) from...our local HD.
    Well grown 2G pots for $12, some plants even have swelling flower buds.
    How could I pass them? :-)
    Anyway, I just recently 'discovered' part-sun bed with approximately 350sf of planting space where I'd like to create 'mass-planting-mess' made strictly out of serratas and macs. I wouldn't be worry about spacing since I'd like them to grow thru each other in a haphazard fashion. (That also will provide me with the planting fields for all those dozens ground layered suckers of all kinds I have to keep in pots every year untill they are large enough for their own spots in the garden).
    The only rule I have to obey is not to plant taller plants in a front of the smaller ones.
    So, how tall I should expect Blaumeise to be in a warmer part of z6? May I expect it to bloom being unprotected? (For comparison, all serratas bloom here every year, Nikko and Glowing Embers blooms 3 out of 4 years, but Princess Beatrix and King George only 2 out of 4)

• yellowgirl
    16 years ago

Hi George, glad you brought this post back up. The pics are great. As it turns out, I just became a victim of a beautiful new Blaumeise that found me at Lowes for $30.00. The flower heads were 9 inches across!! I have Blaumeise cuttings from last year but this plant was "instant gratification" so, like you, I had to have it and tore out some old unhappy hedges to make yet another hydrangea bed. (when does it end?)

My understanding is that it can grow to about 5 ft or better, however, the Tellers are known for being very suseptible to Spring frosts as they are a bit tender, even though Blaumeise is noted as being the hardiest "of the Tellers". Many nurseries list their hardiness zones as 7 - 9. Since you are in a "warm" zone 6 and already have them anyway, what have you got to lose? These outstanding lacecap blooms sure would be worth a try and they are almost as pretty, if not more so, when they fade and dry. .....yg

• seventowers
    16 years ago

Hi , Is there a difference between the Fasan (pheasant) Hydra and the Taube Hydra ? I believe that both of these are from the Teller Red series , is this correct?
    How can you tell the two apart ? What do I need to look for ?
    Any info would be great
    Thanks
    Laura

• yellowgirl
    16 years ago

Laura,

They are indeed both Tellers. I believe Fasan has more vivid pink/red color and a tighter more overlapping ring of sterile sepals than Taube which is known for it's big rose pink colored blooms in the right ph but can turn purple/blue in acidic soil. Both are tender and somewhat risky in zone 6.....yg

• rschluss
    14 years ago

Hi,

I wanted to revive this thread once again to gush about how much I love Blaumeise. I got 2 at my local HD last spring for $12 each. They made lovely container plants on my patio until october, when i put them both in the ground.

Imagine my disappointment this past winter to come home and find that one of the plants was plowed down to the ground. This spring I was happy to find that the plant (a clump of roots) made it through the winter and was budding from the ground. I dug it up and moved it to a location where it needn't fear another plowing this winter. I figured that it would provide lovely foliage this year, but was delighted to find that it is actually blooming this year.

Long-story short, I would definitely categorize it as a hardier hydrangea that was well worth the purchase.

• gardenlover25
    14 years ago

Wooooooooooooooow! I'm mesmerized by hydrangeas photos. I think I'm going to start collecting different hybrids of Hydrangeas. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see more photos.

• ego45
    14 years ago

Out of 4 Blaumeisse I bought in 2007 two died almost to the ground for the two past winters, one has 3-5 blooms on a 4x4' shrub and one, which I overwinter in a pot, blooms like never before: 12-15 blooms on a 3x3 shrub in 5G pot.

• ditas
    14 years ago

I too, am glad this is back up ... the gzillion 'Hardy Hydrangea' at HD I was inquiring about the other day - looked exactly like the top left one, in Bonbon's shared pic taken in Oregon ... an infusion of those colors & huge sepals!!! So that's what they are 'Teller's Blue' huh ... just a patio (to impress) plant, in our zone ... glad I didn't fall victim!

Thanks for your input George! Â;) Innominata's Blaumeisse is another story ... but not for my zone either! Â:(

• madeyna
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting the that first blue. It took my breath away ,just stunning. That grouping is a insperation as well.

• wisteria_harrystotle_com
    13 years ago

Moi cet hivers j'essaie de garder mon :
    Hortensia Lacecap Blue
    dans son pot dans la maison,
    est-ce qu'il y a quelqu'un qui la deja essayer ?