Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

Opinions needed--please help and advise! (pics)

joannemb
13 years ago

Ok, so I have decided that I would like to recreate a hedge like the one in the picture below---ES, T&SH, BB (repeat)

{{gwi:1011814}}

I originally decided to plant them along my patio (which faces west.) I knew it was a gamble, but I had had a sister theresa there and it did fine once it was established. I now have changed my mind.... I think it is just simply too much sun. They wilt and yes, they always bounce back, but quite honestly I don't want to look at wilted hydrangeas from 2-7 (which seems to be the reality of it.) Here is a picture of what I had planted. (You can see my make shift 'tents' reflected in the window-- that I had moved out of the way for the picture...helping to shade them from this 90 degree sun we're having this week!)

Also, note that in the border I planted I only used 3 Endless Summers and 2 Blushing Brides (alternating)---but if I do indeed change to plan B I will incorporate the Twist and Shout (Ostrich, I can't get your advice out of my head with the reminder to plant in 3's!) :)

{{gwi:40366}}

{{gwi:40367}}

Soooo, plan B is to wait until Spring, and make a larger hedge along my back fence (which faces East.) Only problem is that it is shaded by a large tree, and gets dappled morning sun. Here is a picture of what it looked like at 11:30 am this morning (and looked that way since about 8am) Is this enough sun for endless summers to bloom?

{{gwi:41283}}

Lastly, my neighbor reminded me that "we never plant in straight lines" and thinks if I plant along the fence I need to have curves. If I'm planting a hedge to hide the fence, can't I break this design rule? ;) Please? LOL Just would love some other thoughts/opinions!

Comments (10)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

I have always assumed that a "hedge," by definition, is planted in a straight line.

On the other hand, as time goes on, you might want to round out the left corner and add some other plants. Maybe the right-hand corner also. That would give you a semi-circle planting.

I can't advise on sunlight for those particular hydrangeas, but I am wondering if any sunlight comes through in the afternoon?

Good luck. I like your idea and hope you find a workable space for it.

Kate

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    13 years ago

Actually, I think your plants looks fine, it's true that a curved line in gardening always looks better, but, you can't always do that and straight lines now and then are just fine! Now, I think that most of us are being cooked by these awful temperatures, I'm in MA and we usually get a few days of this at a time, but this is ridiculous! So I'm expecting next year to go back to normal summer temps and happier non-wilting hydrangeas! So, back to your dilemma, do you usually have such an extended period of 90 degrees temps or is this abnormal for you also? If it's abnormal for you too, maybe you could give it another year and see how they do. They really look nice in your picture....I'd be tempted to leave them alone for a year.........just a thought.

Donna

• msalcido
    13 years ago

I also think they way you have planted looks good. It will be beautiful once they are all in bloom together. Reading this post has made me realize that I'm going about it all wrong. I have mine spread out in the garden, one here and there. In the fall, I'm having the side yard redone, and I'm planting a straight line of hydrangeas, so I think for you to do it against your fence would like fine.

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

If you ever want to alter the look, plant some hostas or small acid loving shrubs (rhodies etc) in front of the tall hydrangeas to make things look more curved in certain areas.

• blueeskimo
    13 years ago

I have grown ES shaded by a tree similar to your fence condition. It grows well (but may not be consistent year after year, which maybe be true in any location). The following picture was taken in summer 2008. Last year was not as good. But this year is better.

It would take a while for ES to hide the fence. Wouldn't you rather plant some taller paniculata type, such as 'Limelight' or 'Quick Fire' (or alternate with both) against the fence? (Your neighbor can enjoy the flowers as well :-) If you leave the flower heads on, they would have better winter interests than the macrophylla type. Just my 2 cents.
    Will 'Limelight' and such grow under such shade condition? I think they prefer sunnier location, but will grow well there, too. Other people might proof me wrong.

If afterwards, you think white-flower look is not enough, you can always plant a row of ES mix in front of them (who needs more grass :-).

• hydrangeasnohio
    13 years ago

I think what you did with the ES's looks great! You will not have anymore room to plant any other plants with them. Although maybe some early spring bulbs against the path in front of the ES's. When the bulbs are done the the ES's will take over. This fall is perfect time to plant also.

I agree with the above post and would go with a taller Paniculata type for along your fence. They will give you more privacy and will take alot less care than ES's. Limelight hedge lines are VERY impressive!

• joannemb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lots to think about! Thank you for all of your insight--please keep them coming! Maybe I should just leave them be for a year or so and see how it goes. That is true---this summer has been unusually hot, AND they were just planted... I may be asking too much from them too soon. The fence is something I'd like to do eventually, but it doesn't necessarily need to be right now.... I just thought since I already had 5 hydrangeas that I needed to move...

The limelight suggestion is a good one... but I just planted one along the north side of my house. They are doing great there and are really pretty. But since I only have so much space I'd like something different for the back. Plus, the front of my house is an all white garden (which is why I needed the white limelights that can be seen from the front) so I'd like the back to be full of color.

The other thing to consider is that I only have ES and BB in the border I planted. Adding twist and shout wouldn't work there because I only have room for 5 hydrangeas. I just really liked the look of the first picture with the 3 together.... ah, decisions decisions :)

• joannemb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You all have me thinking now.... I do need something taller and easier by the fence (I may have to winter protect the ES'ers) --- I of course love the limelight suggestion because I love them so much, but after planting 8 of them, I'd like something different. I think I'm going to take your advice and leave the ES'ers where they are, and plant an annabelle hedge along the fence. I think it might be nice to have some white back there anyway to contrast with all of the color that I plan to add to the back. I really do appreciate all of your opinions---they helped me make sense of it all!

• ego45
    13 years ago

Despite the comments about how existing planting of 5 hydrangeas along the pathway is look great, I could tell you that it may just looks great now, when they are freshly planted babies. In a short period of time, in addition to already known wilting problem, you'll have to deal with their size (there is simply not enough room between house wall and a pathway) and winter look (bare sticks will be in your direct view from the bay window).
    So, I wholeheartedly agree with your notion that they should be moved and I think that proposed spot by the fence is much better place (for you and for them) than where they are right now.

• joannemb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was planning on cutting them all down in the fall since they bloom on new wood -- I can do that with endless summers right? I guess I was thinking that would make the sticks much less conspicuous.
    If I cannot cut them lower (I was thinking about a ft. Above the ground) then that would definitely be a factor.... I wouldn't want to see them all winter outside the window.

The bed is 4 foot at its narrowest point....most of it is 6 ft+ and I am totally ok with them spilling out onto the patio if they do need more room...I think that might look kind of charming. (Of course I could be totally wrong on that account! Lol). I would like a nice full look there though....I don't want to see mulch if that makes sense.