Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Newbie needs pruning help

Posted by miajune Michigan (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 12:26

Hello Gardeners :)

I could use your assistance. I am a novice gardener and we purchased this PeeGee tree last year. It is a young tree and the blooms on it are so dense that I'm afraid it will snap the trunk. Can you provide me with some suggestions on what I can do now (mid July) while it is just blooming? I read forums that state I could cut what I want and eventually prune to 3-5 hearty canes - but given it has just started to produce these blooms, I want to take caution not to do anything that may compromise the tree. So...
What can I do now to provide some relief to the tree?
When should I prune it fully (to bring it down to only the heartiest canes)?

Thank you!
Andi

(In Michigan)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Newbie needs pruning help

Wow, that is some awesome PeeGee.
I'd be tempted to prune the flowers, too.

I've got quite a few PG's around me and their natural habit is to let the blooms droop. But those are old, old ones. Your trunk looks very strong.

If you worried, take 'em off and make gorgeous wreaths. It won't affect next year's growth. "Gather ye flowers while ye may."

Looks like a beautiful strong plant. I wouldn't worry.

Good Luck.

o

Prune the branch cluster (mainly the sides in your case) to a 3x3' "ball" shape in Fall after the blooms are spent. For reference, the new left edge would be approximately where the edge of the right-front corner of bumper on your SUV is, if you were looking at it from the same angle as your picture. Also, if you are going to let the tree grow to a fuller size, you might want to back it further away from the driveway edge as these can begin to spill into the path of it. Either way, if you don't prune narrower at the top, they will tend to continue growing wider first and not taller.

Alternatively, if you keep the branch cluster pruned to the same diameter each year, the main trunk should continue to get thicker and a bit taller. So I would start with a 3x3' ball and after the trunk becomes thicker keep pruned to a 6x6' ball, provided it is not hanging into the driveway.

o

Thank you for the help! We do plan to relocate the tree to a new bed more centered on our lawn so we will be able to avoid the overhang issue. :) I will give your suggestions a try!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here